Herron VTPH-2A Phono Preamp....anyone familiar?

Hi just reaching out to get any input/feedback  on the Herron VTPH-2A Phono Preamp.   While I'm happy with my existing Parasound JC3 Jr., someone recommended the Herron, so I got intrigued, as I've never run into, nor listened to, any Herron products.  
Thks, Jim

jhajeski
I participated in a "shoot out" with the Herron, Allnic and Manley Chinook.  I think there were about 8 or 9 people there.  The only thing we changed was the Phono Preamp, and it was an otherwise excellent system.  

They all sounded great!  But, the vote ended up being that more favored the Manley than the others.  IMO, the Manley was the smoothest top to bottom, and others seemed to agree.  The Herron and Allnic both were excellent as well, but I found them to be a little more forward in the midrange.  That's a matter of taste, of course.

In the end, I have the Manley, and I'm very happy.  I think I could be happy with any of the three... but the Manley is least expensive of the lot.  I just didn't see enough improvement with the Herron to justify double the cost.  And, I think the Manley is a little easier to configure.
Just had a very pleasant phone conversation with Keith .
Both in agreement that present amp and his phono should be a match made in audio heaven.

And his direct sale pricing is VERY fair imho.

Just have to sell the Gold Note now.....
I sold my Gold Note in favor of the Herron, the VTPH-2A does everything better. I'm sure you will enjoy the Herron @uberwaltz
@uberwaltz
Just had a very pleasant phone conversation with Keith . Both in agreement that present amp and his phono should be a match made in audio heaven. And his direct sale pricing is VERY fair imho. Just have to sell the Gold Note now.....

You gave up so quickly after so many praise for the Gold Note in your posts.

Tube phono stage is not for everyone imo (same about tube amps).

But in general this is a prime exaple that we like something only until we will find something better. But you must check the Herron in your own system first, before you will sell Gold Note. Looking forward for your reports about it, but not in the first week after purchase :)

@jcoehler

I sold my Gold Note in favor of the Herron, the VTPH-2A does everything better.

Is it better in low register? The only weak point of the Gold Note in my system is the bass. But the best bass i have with mosfet phono stage (no tubes).

Chakster

I do not call 2 years " gave up so quickly"

You may not recall but at that time I was convinced I wanted a Herron or a Chinook back then but thanks to sensible advice right here it was decided that certainly the Herron would not be a good match impedance wise for my then present Lyngdorf 2170.

If the Gold Note was the be all and end all of phono stages then everybody would have one and there would be no need or market for anything different/better.

Sometimes it is indeed a case of the grass is greener but in this case with so much overwhelming support for the Herron ( and the Chinook) I do not believe it is just smoke and mirrors.

The only weak point of the Gold Note in my system is the bass.

And there we have it.... " in my system".

One cannot expect everybody to get the same results as in your system Chakster.

You have some good advice to offer at times on certain subjects but also it appears that when someones decision does not align with yours then they must just be wrong.