Fisher 500c vs. CJ Combo?

All,

Currently sitting on a blown (power circuit) Fisher 500c that I'm thinking about having restored but find myself increasingly drawn to the idea of a CJ MV-50 or 55 with a PV10 combo as I've heard great things about the combo and like the flexibility a little extra juice could provide for future speaker choices. 

The Fisher is in great physical shape and I was considering AEA for a full restoration/update so my choices are to drop a pretty healthy pile of cash at AEA or sell the Fisher and take the cash and add it to the money I would have spent at AEA to grab a MV and PV. 

Interested in hearing what all of you think. Is the jump to the CJ combo worth the risk on buying the equipment that may need costly servicing or should I embrace the luck I've had in napping the Fisher and treat it to the reverb it deserves?

Currently running a vinyl only system with Kef Q100s and a Rega P3 with Elys2 cart. If I loved on the Fisher I'd look to either step up to some Kef LS50metas or maybe take a run at updating some old Klipsch Heresys. If I went the CJ route I'd initially enlist a pair of Maggy 1.5's that I have access to while I worked to figure out what they really wanted to play with.

Thanks in advance for the input!

LB 
snowbot360
OP, there is not a lot of The Fisher talk around here.. I sure liked um...
HH Scott, HK Citations... CJ a bit from time to time...

Regards
@yogiboy 
Funny that article was the reason a chased down a Fisher originally.

I love the sound of the 500c, when its operational, but figure I should be considering the best sounding option before I start dropping signifianct money.

Thanks
LB
The Fisher doesn’t get the respect it deserves.  Fisher in the mid sixties was as prestigious as Mac, Marantz, Citation etc.  
It’s a wonderful sounding piece with plenty of power, so long as you’re not wanting to make your ears bleed.

Fisher gets my vote.

Norman
@normansizemore 

Thanks Norman! Have any experience with AEA's restoration work? I've been talking to Lloyd and found him to be really helpful but don't know anything about their work other than the drool worthy images I've seen on their site and a spares number of positive forum comments I've found.

Thanks!

LB
One of the finest set-ups I ever had was early on in my journey with a 500c as a pre and/or pre power and a pair of Klipschorns. I have actually seriously considered going back to one over recent years because it sounded so good. What kept me from doing it was the ancient screw binding posts, if you want to be kind enough to call them that. 
Still, if you haven't heard one, you are really missing what tube magic can sound like.
What was the price for the refurb you were considering, and are they doing anything about the binding posts?
@roxy54 

I've certainly wanted to hear a pair of K-horns but have yet to have the opportunity. As for the restoration, you can see AEA's handywork detailed and showcased here. Their $1,500 price tag is on the high side from what I've been able to dig up on differing forums but my justification has been easy to find based on the photos or their work and fact that a shop local to me wanted $600 just to rebuild the power supply...

That said, I'm early on in my audio journey and have to be honest with myself that my justification for paying $1,500 is not based on knowing what the amp needs. Hence my interest in harassing all of you on this thread and reason for asking if I'd be better served investing my cash elsewhere... As it relates, it doesn't look like AEA addresses the binding posts from what I can see on their page. Thanks for the feedback there!

LB 
@roxy54 

These binding strip adapters look like they might fit the bill nicely! Even saw a post or two over at AudioKarma specifically from Fisher owners that said these fixed the grumble that you mentioned very well.

Thanks again!

LB 
Thanks Snowbot. I looked at the link, and I don't understand exactly how they connect, but I'm sure I could figure it out if necessary.
@roxy54 
Looks to me like the male end threads directly into the binding strip. Only real negative I see aside from running to gold plated adapter to the stock metal on the binding strip is the extra depth that's added to the amp. I've got a fairly skinny console I'm thinking about landing the Fisher on top of and can see that use of these could make that problematic...

Separate question, does anyone around here have strong opinion on the differing Conrad PV preamps? I've read a few reviews on the niceties of the later PV10s (B) but also see a lot of folks on Audiokarma talking about the PV5 and PV9 as being generally better rigs. Interested in hearing any well informed opinions as I have none.

LB 
I used my fathers Fisher 500C from the mid 70’s though the 80’s
stock. Original caps. Replaced two output tubes in late 80’s
Moved onto Adcom and Nad and then purchased a used CJ combo.
PV-11 preamp and MF200 amp in mid 90’s As nice as the Fisher is, and built like a tank, the CJ stuff would be a step up and more power. The Pv10b I believe is the same as the PV12. I’d sell the Fisher. I moved up to a Supratek preamp and Pass Labs amp since the CJ.