Dynavector DV 507 MKII

Can anyone confirm whether the Dynavector DV 507 MKII tonearm is manufactured in black as well as in silver.

I have heard claimed that this is the case. But I have never ssen it myself.

Can anyone help?
brian7500
I'm not sure if it is actually manufactured in black as well, but this is a
photo of the 507 MK2 in black from CES 2009.

Best,

iSanchez
Interesting, I find no reference to it. I could have sworn I had seen one but a
quick search on the net yields no results. If you do not get an answer here, you
might ask the owner, Mr. Tominari (he actually lives a few doors down from me,
but we never talk about audio). His email address should be on the homepage.
I'm a Dynavector dealer. I saw the arm in black at CES (looked beautiful). I confirmed with the USA importer that it is now available in black as well as silver.
Sorry for kind of off topic, but I guess the case is kind of solved?

Do you all use the built in tracking force adjuster, or do you use the sub-weight for most of the preasure?
Dear Fosse: Like all other Dynavector tonearms the 507 MK2 is a dynamic balance design but you can use it in static way using , like you say, the counterweight only. IMHO and over my experiences with those tonearms it performs better in a static way but like almost always that is system/ears dependent.

regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear Audiofeil: Yes it is but any one can use it as main counterweight like in any static balance tonearm: you set to 0(cero ) the VTF dial and aply the VTF through the ( a,b,c ) sub-weight, that's all. IMHO works really fine, you can/could try it and " see " what happen by your self.

regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Thanks Raul,
I know how the arm works; I've had one here for some time now.

I suppose you could static balance the arm but in actuality it makes no difference in sonics; I've tried it both ways with a number of cartridges.

Besides, it's far easier to make small adjustments using it dynamically.

Dealer disclaimer
Dear Audiofeil: Yes, it is more easy ( dynamic balanced ) to make VTF changes because in static way we need a VTF gauge always.

Anyway it is " interesting " to 507MK2 owners to try both ways and choose about.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
You need a VTF gauge with any dynamic balanced arm Raul. We can never, ever rely on the tonearm indicator for VTF.

Although the 507's adjustment dial is incredibly accurate; actually it's the most precise of any tonearm here.

But the tonearm itself reminds me of those machines from the Terminator movies.
I use the VTF dial on the tonearm. I balance the arm horizontally with the dial set to zero. I then adjust the dial to the appropriate VTF.

I have a few digital scales. The VTF reading I get with the Cartridge Man Digital Stylus Force Gauge is consistent with the VTF incidated on the 507 MKII dial. Each of the scales I have provides a different reading for the same VTF, even with the VTA set horizontal for each scale. I find the Cartridge Man Digital Stylus Force Gauge to be the most accurate and consistent scale. I only use it to verify that the VTF set on the Dyan arm dial is correct. In my case, it always is.

Best,

iSanchez
Dear iSanchez: Do you already try it in static way?, no?: why don't you try it and share with us your findings?. Thank you in advance.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
In my experience the dynamic gauce is presice with some combinations of headshell/cartridge and not so with others. More important: Going back and forth and the dial will show the same value.

I just tested setting the VTF static yesterday and in my opinion the arm sounds more open and faster in the midrange this way. Kind of similar to less damping fluid in other designs if you understand.

In my system (Acutus/DV507MKII/XV-1s) I must say I prefer this over the pure dynamic force.

It is just as easy to adjust VTF this way as you could arrange the weight to your minimum value and apply additional dynamic weight.

Or, combine the two to find the optimum amount of "damping".

Thanks Raul.

Do you fasten the different screws hard, loose or something in the middle?
>>In my experience the dynamic gauce is presice with some combinations of headshell/cartridge and not so with others.<<

I'd like an explanation as to how you think this is possible.

I've used 9 cartridges with 3 different headshells and couldn't disagree with you more.

The only possibility IMO is you do not have the arm leveled in exactly the same position at "0" VTF.

Thanks in advance.
Hello Raul,

I ran a quick test this morning and my first impression is that the sound is more articulate and it has more dynamic contrast with the dial set to zero and using the sub weight to set the appropriate VTF. I also perceived a bit less bass weight, but I cannot be completely sure about it. It might be simply the effect of tighter bass.

From a more technical perspective, with the dial set to zero the sub weight needs to be closer to the pivot in order to achieve the desired VTF. This creates less moment (m=d*f) as the sub weight mass vertical movement is shorter, hence creating the opposite of a craw bar effect.

The less moment generated with the sub weight closer should produce even a faster vertical recovery when the short arm maneuvers a bump or a warp, which is one of the unique design features of this tonearm.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I never thought about it, but it makes sense now that I think about it. I discussed my notes with a engineer friend of mine and he says it makes sense as well.

Best,

iSanchez

all you guys that have experience with the DV 507. How good is it? Any down side? (except the price)?
Audiofeil, thinking about it again and I agree with you, even if your nick means "audiowrong" translated directly from Norwegian (sorry, just had to mention it. Forgive me).

We all know that the VTA is of great importance for the VTF, especially with dynamic force.
My writing might be based on the fact that I do not remember well enough. But, could it be that the combination of headshell and cartridge would influence on how precise the dial is if you have the VTA set different from the angle in witch you outbalanced the arm. I have some problem explaining this in English and I don’t think it is it of great value anyway.

The dial is in my opinion consequent, but the numbers on it is meant for reference not correct value.

Sorry I couldn't explain this any clearer.