Dynavector DV 507 MKII

Can anyone confirm whether the Dynavector DV 507 MKII tonearm is manufactured in black as well as in silver.

I have heard claimed that this is the case. But I have never ssen it myself.

Can anyone help?
brian7500

Showing 3 responses by isanchez

I'm not sure if it is actually manufactured in black as well, but this is a
photo of the 507 MK2 in black from CES 2009.

Best,

iSanchez
I use the VTF dial on the tonearm. I balance the arm horizontally with the dial set to zero. I then adjust the dial to the appropriate VTF.

I have a few digital scales. The VTF reading I get with the Cartridge Man Digital Stylus Force Gauge is consistent with the VTF incidated on the 507 MKII dial. Each of the scales I have provides a different reading for the same VTF, even with the VTA set horizontal for each scale. I find the Cartridge Man Digital Stylus Force Gauge to be the most accurate and consistent scale. I only use it to verify that the VTF set on the Dyan arm dial is correct. In my case, it always is.

Best,

iSanchez
Hello Raul,

I ran a quick test this morning and my first impression is that the sound is more articulate and it has more dynamic contrast with the dial set to zero and using the sub weight to set the appropriate VTF. I also perceived a bit less bass weight, but I cannot be completely sure about it. It might be simply the effect of tighter bass.

From a more technical perspective, with the dial set to zero the sub weight needs to be closer to the pivot in order to achieve the desired VTF. This creates less moment (m=d*f) as the sub weight mass vertical movement is shorter, hence creating the opposite of a craw bar effect.

The less moment generated with the sub weight closer should produce even a faster vertical recovery when the short arm maneuvers a bump or a warp, which is one of the unique design features of this tonearm.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I never thought about it, but it makes sense now that I think about it. I discussed my notes with a engineer friend of mine and he says it makes sense as well.

Best,

iSanchez