diffuser or absorption panels, which would you choose?

If you could only use one acoustical treatment in a room and you’d have to cover most of the walls and leave ceiling untreated, would you pick all diffuser or all absorption panels?

emergingsoul

I use both absorbtion and diffusion. Agree with those who stated it was best to place diffusers behind speakers. I have combined quadratic diffusers, large bass traps and have absorbing panels at first reflection points. That's the front half of my room. Behind the seated position is wide open. The sound is beyond the capabilities of the equipment alone. Extremely important to treat the room.

In my case, in my room and my equipment,  the result using diffusers is 3D imaging, separation between instruments, clear sound. I encourage you to try with N7 panels at the back of the speakers. It’s a kind of magic in the image sound.

Later, when music is clarified, if you need to treat bass reflexions, you can use absorption, but  using absorbers, carpets, corners …

I have chosen diffusion in the form of artificial Ficus trees.  My room needed help from the lower midrange up.  The artificial Ficus trees, layered sometimes two or three deep, broke up the sound in the room giving only the sound produced directly from the speakers to my ears.  The difference was well worth the small expense. I discovered that the deeper the trees were layered, particularly BEHIND the speakers, the more the impact on lower frequencies.  6 feet deep effectively damped frequencies a little below 200hz.  

And the added benefit was a big increase in WAF. 

The ones I picked up were 5 foot tall models U$60 each from "At Home" home decorating store.  

@lemonhaze Very interesting info.  Thank you.  

@bpoletti Who knew fake ficus trees could be an audiophile tweak?  I wonder if real ficus trees sound more natural and provide more air?  Heh heh.