DADs an "interim" format??

I keep seeing statements in here to the effect that the current 24/96, DVD based music format(DAD)is an "interim" format. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, DAD formated disks can still be played on DVD-Audio machines. DADs may not be the most efficient way of stuffing a 24/96 signal onto a DVD, but it works and there is nothing in the DVD-A spec that would preclude its use. Am I all wet here or what?

Showing 1 response by 1953

Kevin, yeah, thanks. A very clear explanation. So, DVD-V based audio disks are NOT an "interim" format. Just one option of what may be many. I'm not all wet after all...just totally befuddled. If the technology and process exists,... WHY NOT USE IT!! I'm AMAZED that Chesky stopped releasing 24/96 disks. If the format is, and always will be, playable on all DVD based machines, what's the problem? Why the hesitation? Especially if the auto industry is adopting the DVD-V devices. One thing I've learned in the business world is that you must differentiate yourself (products, services, price...what ever you offer)from the competition in order to be successful. Here is a perfect opportunity to do just that. Most people now realize that they can use their DVD player as a CD player as well (although I still get the "I did'nt know that" look occasionally). If I were a major label (or even a minor label)and had the technology on hand, I'd jump on it! Can anybody explain this reluctance?