Curious what people think is the best "value" high end speaker (~5K to 15K)

I am on a long search for speakers and just curious what people think is the best value both new or used in speakers ranging from around $5000 to $15000? I have a set of Paradigm S8's (V1) and love them but looking for another set for another set in a different listening area (25 x 20?, maybe larger).  I love the full sound of JBL's and looking for something in that range (it also helps that JBL's seem to hold their value better than most, which will be a consideration). The only drawback to JBL is footprint.  I prefer a smaller footprint which is why after reading I hope to listen to several B&W 800 series but open to suggestions across the board.  used Watt Puppies? Revels?  I am curious about peoples experience with McIntosh XR100's. 
gene3x

Showing 17 responses by bo1972

Audio is based on sound. And sound is based on different properties. And you will find these different properties/aspects of sound on each recording. So it make sense that your loudspeaker is able to reveal all these differerent aspects/properties of sound.

But......when you will judge loudspeakers on which properties they can reveal the facts proof that by far the most loudspeakers are not able to reveal all these different aspects/properties of sound.

And what is missing, never can be revealed. So it doesn’t matter which amp, source, cable or conditioner you will use. The loudspeaker cannot reveal all the properties of sound.

Humans beings can reveal sound and music in a 3 dimensional stage. But almost all loudspeakers which are produced worldwide in all price ranges cannot create more than 1 metre of stage depth. This is a hifi stereo parameter. And has nothing to do with highend audio or 3-dimensiona sound.

The fact that almost all loudspeakers are 2-dimensional proofs that the manufacturers have often only little insight and knowledge regarding sound and music. Because when they would have know this, their products would be able to reveal all the different aspects of sound.

What I wrote before, I will not name the brands who are 2-dimensional and miss other aspects of sound. When I call the brands of the loudspeakers who are 2D and moiss other aspects the people who own these incomplete loudspeakers will feel offended.

Beside 3-dimensional soundstage, there is another important aspect what also can be revealed by even less loudspeakers. And this is diversity in height. This is when a loudspeaker is able to let you experience the differences in height of both voices and instruments.

I call it the 8th property of sound. And why it is so important?

When an audio system can reveal the differences in height of voices and instruments is has a big influence of the harmonics of a recording. The sound has often more layers. This gives music a more emotional touch.

You only can create an audio system what is able to reveal all properties of sound, when each single part of your system own all the asepcts/properties of sound. Each part what is incomplete will always create a limitation in each system where you use it.

Your amp, source, cables, conditioner and even your fuses need to own all the different asepcts of sound. When you judge amps, sources, cables, conditioners and even fuses on their DNA/properties they own. Again the facts proof that almost all audio products in the world (regardless price) which are produced do not own all the different aspectc/properties of sound.

When an audio system can let you hear and experience all the details and aspects/properties of sound it will create a superior level in emotion and intensity compared to any incomplete trail and error created system. Due ot the fact that each individual property/aspect of sound can influence the human emotion during listening to music.

Humans cannot create a stunning and sublime sounding audio system based on the fact that most humans can only focus on 1 till 3 of all the different properties of sound. You all create your personal system by trial and error. Again we are talking about a 100% fact.

This means you connect loudspeakers, an amp, cables and a source together. And you will listen to the endresult. The biggest limitations of this is the fact that you cannot reveal the full DNA of each single part within your own system.

When you are at home and you listen to your system you will listen to all the different aspects/properties of each part in your set together and the influence of your acoustics and other parts who negatively influences your sound and stage; smog, highfrequent noise and magnetism.

This proofs how complex sound really is. But you need to understand it all to be able to comprehend why the sound and stage (only 2 aspects/properties of sound) is what you hear. Trail and error will never make you understand what you are doing. You choices have no founding. This means that you make your choices on random order. That is why trial and error is 100% pure gambling. That is why we call it audiogambling.

You only can understand audio and for vision counts the same. When you think and work by all the different aspects/properties of sound. And you need to understand all the different aspects who influences both sound and stage.

And then we are just only starting. It even goes a lot further than this alone. You need to understand the way our emotion and brains work regaring sound and music. You need to undersrand the 3 aspects who influences our emotion during listening to music. It took me thousands of hours to undersrand all these different aspects. But in 1998 I had a mindset. And I was aware that when I want to understand why all different loudspeakers/amps/sources etc all sound so different . I need to understand each property and influence on sound. This is why I did thousands of tests to be able to extract the dull dna of each individual part of an audio system.

I did the most reseach regaring the acouctics based on the fact that is has the biggest influence on both sound and stage. But in the last years I also did a lot of reach in smog, highfrequent noise and magnetism.

Trial and error creates incomplete audio systems. They miss essential parts of sound. You need them all to feel the full emotion on a recording.

Audio is all about sound and the aspects/properties of sound. You never can understand audio when you do not understand sound and music.

The last thing what is also needed is that you know how voices and instruments sounds in real. And how big they are in size. And the way they are projected in space. Money does not garantee you anything in audio. And for loudspeakers counts the same.

The question is what do you add stereo5?

When I see the pictures of your system. The facts proof that your insight and knowledge is extremely poor and limited. Based on the fact that the products you bought cannot reveal all the different aspects/properties of sound. And we are not talking about personal taste. We are speaking just about 100% facts!
We only use the word highend, when a loudspeaker can reveal all the different aspects/properties of sound. This is needed when you can perceive all the detail and different apects of a recording. By far most loudspeakers cannot reveal all the aspects of sound. That is why we call these loudspeakers hifi loudspeakers. When a loudspeaker does not own all the parameters of sound it would be even silly to call it highend. You want audio to sound as realisic as possible.  
I do audio by Truy-Fi, this is the opposite of trail and errror. The fact is that it is a totally different way of creating an audio system.

The whole does audio by tral and error what is based on gambling. We create sound. Most  People connect parts together and hope it will work at the end. But based on the fact that you cannot track down what the influence of each individual part. It always will be and stay one big guess.

I am only interested in DNA and the apects each individual audio product owns. And for loudspeakers I am only interested if a loudspeaker can reveal all the apects of sound including diversity in height. In all other situations I would only be abbale to create a hifi stereo system. In our world this is 100% unacceptable

This year I have sold many Monitor Audio Pl-200 II. The thing what makes it so easy for me is that I can outperfrom shops very easy even when they sell loudspeakers of over 20.000 euro. Most of these loudspeakers are 2-dimensional and also cannot create diversity in height.

The problem for you is that a Monitor Audio Pl-200 II is a totally different loudspeaker in any trail and error shop compared to the same Pl-200 II in a Tru-Fi world.

I give you an example; a few months ago I did send a new client from Belgium to an audio shop where they sell the Pl-200 II by trail and error. They also sold his loudspeaker (in the same price range) he owned before the Pl-200 II.

He was not that convinced about the presentation of the Pl-200 II and also not of the loudspeaker he owned at that time. The presentation was in 2D and there was no diversity in height. The resolution was limited compared to the level we create by Tru-Fi. But... the biggest difference is the inferior level of diversity in sound these shops create. The used amps and sources of the same price range we use. I will not call the brands of their products. names of their products.Nor will I name the brands of the products we use.

The day after he visited the shop I did send him to a client who also uses the Pl-200 II in a Tru-Fi system. He called me after he visited my client. His first words; mannnn this is really stunning. Now I understand that my loudspeakers (brand you all know well) are far inferior to the Pl-200 II in a Tru-Fi world.

My client the Belgium client visited plays with the Pl-200 II what has an extreme 3-dimensional holographic stage. His system is able to let you hear the differences in heights of voices and instruments. And a level in diversity in sound most people of you never experienced before in your life.

He said: you can order the Pl-200 II and you can sell my loudspeakers. He also wanted to sell directly his 12000 euro amp of a brand you all think and believe it is highend. He said about this amp, I have to admit it has nothing to do with highend.

Everything he owned had to go. Because all products he bought where all incomplete regarding the properties/aspects of sound. When new clients of us hear a Tru-Fi system with their own music. The know directly the difference. The client from Belgum said: I knew by the first song that I own an inferior audio system.

In 2016 I met a client who owned a 2015 'highend' loudspeaker of 37000 euro.(brand from the US you all know)He plays over 95% classical music. We did a shootout with the Pl-200 II.

It outpefromed the 37000 euro 'highend' loudspeaker on all different apects of sound. His former loudspeaker could not create diversity in height. It played all voices and instruments on the same level in height. Like most loudspeakers do.

But the level in layering of the 37000 euro US speaker was far inferior. And can be easily explained why. Because the material and technique of the Pl-200 II is much more advanced why it can reveal so much more layers in sound. The stage depth and width was also bigger with the Pl-200.

The coherence of sound was with classical music so much better with the PL-200 II. The diversity in height also makes the sound much more involving. When you do audio by Tru-Fi it gives us access to all the aspects/properties of sound. This creates an addictive sound. 

The biggest advantage of Tru-Fi is that you can use it witch each audio product. You always can extract the DNA of each product. This makes clear what the real quality is of each product.
I am not God or Jesus. You need to focus more on the facts. And what sound is and how music works. We are not talking about rocket science. People need to get out of their lazy chair and read about music and how our emotion works. 

Like the people who work in audio needs to spend a lot more time in doing research in both sound and vision. And spend time in learning more about sound&vision.

We have access to a lot of data by the internet. People don't use it enough. When I write something people always make it so personal. That is why I stopped using brands and products. They still make it personal or they focus only on products.

It is not about me. You need to look further. People are always talking about brands and products. I can garantee you for 100% that this will never bring you that far. Audio is all about sound. And sound is all about the properties it owns. When you do not start to learn to understand it. You will always limit yourself with an incomplete trial and error created system. With even many faults and limitations.
Audio is all about sound and music. The question for all people is.....what do you prefer to hear?

The truth or the thing you would like to hear. Even if you know it is not true.

The facts proof that when you do audio by trail and error it is impossible to understand the steps you make. And you will never be able to understand what each part you changed really does. This is the main reason why so many people are always in a circle changing parts within their system.

In the last 2 years I had many conversations with people who also work in audio for a long time. The agreed that the way audio is being done is not the right way to give people the best results. I think this is what needed to give people a lot more value for their money.

In over 20 years of time I met too many people who where never focused on listening to music. Often when I visited people I was stunned how little music people owned. The money you spend on your system can only be a good investment when you use it each single day. And it gives you a big smile on your face whenever you use it .

Trial and error will always create systems which miss different aspects of sound. This has nothing to do with personal taste. We are talking about facts. You always will need all the different aspects/properties of sound to experience the emotion your music possesses.

When I meet new clients they are aware that their is missing something. They understrand that their system cannot give them the emotion and satisfaction they hope to find. But they do not understand why their system is not capable of letting them feel the emotion and to find the connection with their own music.

The truth is that their systems lack different aspects/properties of sound. Again this has nothing to do with personal taste. These are facts why those people are not happy. It doesn’t matter what you change in your system. The endresult will stay incomplete.

When people say: audio is a personal taste. I ask them; can you explain how you would describe your personal taste?

Most people hasitate and after some thime they say; it needs to be musical or natural.

So I aks; what do you mean with musical and natural?

And again they have difficulty to find an answer. So they say: it needs to give me an emotional feeling.

So again I ask; when gives your music you an emotional feeling?

They have no idea?

So ask them: do you know how the human emotion works regarding music? And which parts infleunces our emotion. I aksed it far over 50 people who work in audio for a long time. And no one could tell me.

I did read a lot about the human emotion, and I know all the parts and how it works.

Even when I ask people could you decribe your personal taste and where it is founded one?

Again people have no idea or difficulties to describe it. It all proofs how thin the ice is where all people are walking on when they do audio by trial and error.

The thing what was most remarkable, was the fact that when I talked with people about audio. That they realized and it made them aware that they do not have a real foundation on how they choose their audio systems.

First you need to understand sound and music in general. Even here I asked many simple questions to all different people. And again they had difficulties to find an answer.

It becomes very clear that people need to learn to think a lot further. It is needed to create a stunning and involving audio system.

Question to you all: When do you call a loudspeaker highend?

Based on the fact that most loudspeakers which are mentioned overhere are 2-dimensional and miss other aspects/properties of sound as well.

And when do people see it as the best value for money?

I have to admit we also work this way. We listen to many products and are only interested in the best in it’s class.

How can you call a 2D loudspeaker highend?

Highend means in our world that it can reveal all the aspects of sound. Music needs to sound as true to nature.

How do you choose your system? And what is your foundation on which you make all your decisions?

The word highend is being abused a lot these days. People think and believe when they read the word it needs to be GOOOOOD!

Words and reviews do not garantee you anything? Or you don’t care to be screwed by a paid review and you just like to read the words which give you a good feeling.

Even when I do not make it personal. People start to make it personal again. So I put the mirror for their face.

When people do not know a lot about sound and music how for God sake you can think and believe that you can understand audio?

During many discussions I had with people who work in audio, they had one thing in common. They all became aware that they have no foundation after our discussion. Before I had these discussions with them they never thought about it.

It proofs that the awareness of most people is rather limited. In 1998 I knew I had to learn to extract the DNA of each part. But I had no idea how to create this at that moment. Thousands of hours made me able to think and work in properties.

Without the awareness in 1998 it would never have been possible to create it. When I talk about the way we work, all people understand that it makes sense. We just work on aspects/properties which exists. You need a real foundation on which it all is based.

People often start to laugh when they realize that trial and error is doing audio by random order. Now they are aware that is lacks a foundation. But........before that never have thought about it.

When we demonstarte a Tru-Fi system people hear their own music at a superior level in precision and layers. When music is being played in a big holographic 3D stage, voices and instruments are standing fully free and separate in the room.

Most people play their music is a rather small 2D stage and often the stage is not that wide either.

What their systems do is compressing the stage depth, width and height of the music. Humans can perceive sound in a 3D spectrum. So it would make sense that an audiosystem creates a stage just as in real.

I have done thousands of tests. The facts proof that almost all audio products are 2-dimensional. When an audiosystem is able to create a wide and deep stage. Voices become more apparent and also intimate. The last part has a huge influence on our emotion. I used it when I did run an audioshop

I had a 2D and 3D system always ready for shootout. When people heard the 3D system they all described it as more intimate and intense. That is why I want to use conservatorium students during presentations. So people can learn what I did learn and experience during small classical live concerts.

Music is in my life one of the most important things in life. It is my goal to bring all people more close to the emotion of the music. To feel the connection and become one with their music.

Audio is all about those products which own all the different aspects/properties of sound. To create a stunning endresult you need loudspeakers which can reveal all the aspects/properties of sound. This has nothing to do with personal taste. We are talking about facts.

Most of our clients said; when we would not have heard the Monitor Audio Platinum by Tru-Fi we would never have bought them. So it proofs that it is a different level and quality when you use all the talents/properties they own.

Many of my clients visited shows and other shops during Monitor Audio presentations. And they are always amazed how poor the quality is of these demoes. In over 99% of all these demoes are done in a 2D stage. The thing is that people focus on brands and products all the time. You only know Monitor Audio by trail and error shops. Because they all work by trial and error.

This is your world and also your truth. We have proven that Tru-Fi is a totally different world compared to the trail and error world. I would never buy a Monitor Audio from a trial and error shop. The endresults would be 100% unacceptable.

We can create a superior level out of each individual product by Tru-Fi compared to any manufacturer, distributer or shop can create by trial and error. We will proof that the Tru-Fi world is so much more effective than the limited trail and error world.

And that this creates a totally different truth. In 2017 LG visited my home. I showed them what we could create with their Oled screens. The person from LG was amazed about the picture he saw. He said; I have never seen this level before. Not even in Korea at LG.

We also do vision by Tru-Fi. So we create vision based on the properties vision is based on. We use the best and most expensive Calman software and tools. But we now even modify Oled screens. And we did a lot of reseach regarding the influence of smog, magnetism and highfrequent noise on vision. Here we also use many different tools (accessories) to limit these influences.

This way we create an unmatched level in vision as well. We create sound and vision. This creates different levels in quality and result compared to buy audio products by trial and error. Most people have still no idea how limited the level in result is what they get by trail and error.

The Tru-Fi world is superior in endresult in stereo, surround and in vision. You can use it for each brand. Tru-Fi has nothing to do with brands and products. Because the focus is only based on the properties each product owns. It is a totally different approach how we create sound.

The facts proof that it is in result superior than what trail and error ever can create for you. That is why I wrote that people need to understand that trail and error is the reason why they limit themselves so much. Trial and error is very ineffective based on the 100% fact that it lacks any kind of real foundation. All manufacturers and distributers I spoke agreed with this.

We can proof it by sound and vision over and over again. The sound you hear will always tell you the truth. Each single human being wants that sound what has the biggest influence on their emotion. And for vision counts the same.

I made huge steps in result when I started in 2017 to adapt sound&vision based on how our emotion gets triggered by it. I can adapt each single property of sound of an audiosystem. We can change modifications, our Statement Audio Pro-measurement and they way we use amps, cables, sources and loudspeakers.

I learned to extract each individual product on their aspects/properties of sound. This makes me able to create and control each audiosystem. That is why we add those missing aspects/properties of sound to systems of new clients who do not own all the aspects/properties of sound.

Tru-Fi proofs by sound and most of all by emotion why it is so much more addictive and intense to listen at compared to any incomplete trial and error created system
@stereo5,

tell the people overhere how you choose your loudspeakers and what is your foundation.......
When you would understand how sound works and what it is. It will make you understand a lot better what the differences are between all different loudspeakers.

Now you choose loudspeakers based on trial and error. The question is: Are you aware that trail and error is a very limited way of choosing your loudspeakers?

Trail and error is always the same way in choosing. Creating audio by gambling. There is no foundation. Even many manufacturers and distributers all agreed with this.

Will you continue audio without a real foundation.......
Please stop only focusing on products and brands. Try to learn what sound is and what it does. Just start reading about how our emotion works regarding music. Trial and error will never bring you to a stunnig and addictive level.

Audio is not about me either, try to learn to look a little further. This is a new year so see it as a new opportunity. Do not make it personal all the time. When people make it personal, I will put a mirror in front of you. Just reply on the thread.

Try to become aware that trial and error is the main reason why audio is often so limited. When you do something without a real foundation the facts proof that the results are limited and will stay limited. I am not the one who limits you. You need to learn and become aware that each person is the one who can limit himself.

You only can reach a higher level when you try to do things differently!
This thread is all about loudspeakers? So it make sense how people make their choices? If people ask me a normal question I just answer.

When you loose dynamics in your system these days compression is a limitation what many system lacks in their drive. Many loudspeakers use materials which are not that light and fast in response. Almost all regular loudspeakers still use voice coils. For example Monitor Audio does not use them anymore. This creates a lot less compression. And a much faster reponse. It improves both dynamic range and layering in sound.

Compression also means losing in realism in sound of the low frequencies. Speed and timing are essential parameters in sound. That is why you need loudspeakers who own a fast response. That it why the material and techniques which are used are so  important these days. These days we see dome-tweeters a lot less and in the comming years more brands will use different tweeters. For the mid and low-frequency drivers the materials are also getting lighter and faster.

The Monitor Audio Platinum drivers use a mix from ceramics and aluminium. But the thing what makes their drivers unique is that the back of their drivers use carbonfiber. This makes the level in disstortion a lot less. This you can directly hear in more layers of instruments and even of voices. Their drivers do not use a voice coil anymore. But they even placed the driver in a cylinder. So the driver can only go up and down. Even at very low volume levels they create a lot of drive in the low.frequencies.

Tomorrow Monitor Audio will introduce the new Gold series. They will use many of the Platinum features and techniques. 

Like many people use a separate dac instead of a source with an inbuild dac. But when you compare many sources with an inbuild dac vs sources with a separate dac. The outcome often shows that sources with an inbuild dac owns better dynamics so less compression.

We have done a lot of research in everything what has to do with electricity in the last 4 years of time. Most conditoners limit audiosystems as well in their dynamic range. But the best conditioners will improve the dynamics as well. Like many people have no idea that smog, highfrequent noise and magnetism absorbs a lot of the dynamic range of each individual system.

Sound is very complex and that is why you need to understand all the different aspects who limits the dynamic range of each system.

Audio is based on properties. You only have to use your common sense. We are not talking about any kind of rocket science. We care talking about facts.

If you cannot handle the truth that trial and error has no real foundation, the results will always limit your endresults. Again it can be proven by facts and sound.

The remarks are again focused on brands and me personal. It proofs that people still don’t understand audio. You need to understand sound and music first. Like you need to understand all the aspects which influences both sound and stage.

When you cannot accept this, you are the one who limits himself. There is no discussion possible. You need to learn to spend less focus on brands and produts. And focus more on sound and music in general.

This will give you more insight in how audio works and why things sound as they sound.

Why is it so difficult to focus more on sound and music?

"Reviewers are probably the ones with the best suited experiences to do this but since many don’t trust paid reviewers that doesn’t help.

Most reviews are paid, welcome in the world of audio. We talked a lot with many different manufacturers in the last 2 years. The facts proof that they often focus on their products. And that they have little insight and knowledge regarding other audio products.

When we talk about the acoustics, smog, highfrequent noise and magnetism they know even less. Sound is very complex, and that is why you need to understand all aspects.