Cowboy Junkies "Open" opinions

I just got the new album today and I'm not very enthusiastic. The first five cuts are what I'd describe as acid grunge, not to my liking. Track six is good but seems out of context with the rest of the album, but from at least here on it is more enjoyable. I like track nine the best. I listened twice through using tube electronics and once with solid state, much better with tubes. My current preference for seven albums I have are #1 "Lay It Down", #2 "Black Eyed Man", #3 " The Trinity Session", #4 "Whites off the Earth Now", #5 "MIles from our Home", #6 "Cresent Moon", #7 the latest "Open". Margo has such a great voice that I don't know why they don't display better.
rhljazz
i got a promo copy of "open" a couple of weeks ago. for those still awaiting delivery, here are my gratuitous thoughts:

if you're hoping for another "waltz across america" or "trinity sessions," you'll be in for a big disappointment. in my view, most of "open" is overproduced, as tho the junkies are trying to reach out for fans of radiohead. on a number of cuts, margo's voice is nearly drowned out by tizzy sounding instruments. there are a few good pieces reminiscent of earlier stuff that make the cd worth having. perhaps this recording will grow on me with more playings. i'm glad, tho, it's not their first endeavor; were it so, there'd likely be many fewer followers of this sometimes great band. -kelly
.......in my above post, it should be "Studio, 1986-95". Puddles; I also ordered right away from the Junk Store-- maybe I'll "get lucky" and get a signed copy. I didn't know they were doing that.

Cornfed; re your comments above, their new CD sounds not so good (no pun intended), but hope springs eternal. No? I did like SOME of their more far-out stuff on "Waltz Across America, but not all of it. I'll keep my powder dry for now. Cheers. Craig
Where can I find Waltz Across America. I thought I had all the CJ albums. Can't find this album on amazon or cdnow....
newintown: you should be able to find "waltz across america" at your local record store. if you wish to order online try: http://www.maplemusic.com/dept.asp?dept_id=1

goo listening.- kelly
Newintown: I orderd the majority of my CJ CD's from Maple Music. The prices are in Canadian dollars, so the US equivalent is under $10 per CD.