Cambridge 640A V2 Volume Control Issue

I have a Cambridge Audio 640A V2 integrated amp and was wondering if anyone has the same problem with I have with the volume control. When I increase or decrease volume with the remote, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get it to the loudness I need. If I just tap the up/down button to make a very small change, it overshoots and I end up getting too much volume, or too little than what than what I need. The best way for me to describe what is happening is to say that the control is sloppy or impercise. Also, when I use the volume wheel, it is very sensitive. It only takes a very small adjustment with the wheel, to get a big change in volume. I welcome any comments from anyone that has used this amp.
r1g_audio

Showing 1 response by mjcmt

I also have the 649a V2 but my volume control doesn't react as badly. It is very sensative w/ the remote, but does require you to hold the button down a little longer than what is intuitive to move the control. At the very low end of the dial it changes volume more quickly. I'm guessing the way the pot's resistance is calibrated it makes uicker adjustments to about 9:00 o'clock and slower after that. I am using 87 db efficiency speakers.

As far as R1g's comments on the quality of sound, and would say it is way above average for the price. It has air and PRaT that matched older Linn gear. The integrated amp that was better sonically in my system was the YBA Design. Its volume control was digital and was very percise but very slow in making adjustments. But it's display was pitaful.