Burmester 069

I am wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to listen to the new Burmester 069 reference CD player? How does it compare with their 001 top line player?
hobby

Showing 6 responses by cappuccino

Roysen, this is an old thread. Things move on, so I can not comment on the latest Wadia separates. I am sorry, but have not heard them. I am sorry my earlier posting could be interpreted that way. My experiences, except from latest integrated players, are with older models. But anyway you get a clue about the different brands philosophy.
I heard it recently in an all Burmester setup and we had the opportunity to compare it to the 001. The setup was 069/001 cd, 011 pre, 2x911 monos, B100 speakers. All cabling was Nordost Odin.

The 069 sounded like a Burmester CD player, just better! Very open, dynamic, transparent and three-dimensional. The 001 which still is very good sounded less transparent, not as fast and a little more restrained. Of course, you will need a very good system to benifit from the differences up to the 069.
Pkancel,
you will not regret it. I moved up from Burmester 001 to 069 myself and as good as the 001 is, the 069 is a lot better. I chose this player over Accuphase, Esoteric, Wadia and dCS separates. The Burmester is simply more musical I think.

I have ordered the new 077 reference preamp and will hopefully have it in 6-8 weeks.

What Burmester amps and what speakers do you have?
Rob,
Accuphase 800/801, Esoteric mod APL3.0 and Wadia 270/931/921. I am sorry but have not heard the latest dCS, only verdi/purcell/elgar. Among these I prefer the Accuphase rig. The others are too cold/analytical and less musical in my ears. But I prefer the 069 over the Accuphase. The 069 has more resolution, depth and is more dynamic and musical. This player plays with more "confidence" and authority than any other player I have heard. I could also add Mcintosh MCD1000/MDA1000 combo to this and Theta Compli/GenVIII which I have had in my own system. Also when I run the Theta Compli as a transport into the Burmester 069 as DAC it sounds like a cheap toy in comparison... The 069 just amazes me! I must add I use the 948 conditioner and think that gives the 069 a benefit. There is a lot of synergy when using Burmester components together. That also includes the Burmester power cords. I have tried Valhalla, WireWorld Gold and latest Synergistic Research, but the $500 Burmester AC cord beats them all in my system!
A funny thing which struck me;
in Norway, where I live, I can buy 3 new Burmester 069s with the reference power supply for the price of 1 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limeted with the V8 4,7L engine. In the US I think you get 2 such cars for the price of 1 Burmester 069 with the reference external power supply.
I guess this has some impact on our priorities... Crazy!
I believe the choice of any of these top notch players in the end is just a matter of personal taste. Some prefer Wadia over Burmester, some not. Personally I am in the latter group.