Bill Chinook / Bruce Springsteen

Has anyone ever heard Bruce Springsteen mention Bill Chinook? Bill was a "founder" of early E Street Band w/ some members joining up w/ Bruce's band. He was making that Asbury sound before Bruce, but I have never heard "the Boss" mention him. I may be partial to him because he settled up here in Maine way back in the 1970's and played often in the bars and dance halls. And released a couple excellent albums, Dime Store Heroes is one of my favorites.
128x128thepigdog
bdp24
The E Street Band doesn’t swing! Look at the drummer; he sits straight up, like the stick up his ...
The E Street Band isn't supposed to swing. It's rock, not swing.

i think the river is his best set of songs, but the albums i'm inclined to actually sit down and listen to are the folky ones-- tom joad and nebraska, where he sounds unforced and uninclined to make everything sound like an epic.
My issue with Springsteen, in general (and his politics in particular) is that IMO his political awakening moved him radically away from his greatest musical strength. Those songs on the first three records, with their stories of triumph over long odds, played perfectly to his anthemic music. Swelling horns herald victory! It was truly rousing music, IMO.

Once Bruce focused on the bruising reality, rather than the inspiration victory, it all got smaller, darker, and less fun. That put a huge burden on the music to be insightful, deeply moving, and desperate. For some, he obviously succeeded. For me, not so much. I just don’t think he’s great at it.

Oddly, I also think it fully explains the misappropriation of Born in the USA. The music is rousing (just like the good old days) and the refrain sounds patriotic enough at first listen, so people jumped on it as a return to the good old days. People wanted Bruce to be the old Bruce, so that’s what they made of the song - despite its obvious message to the contrary.

I never blame Springsteen for either the politics or the misuse of BITUSA, but I just don’t find much of his stuff after Born to Run particularly effective. Again, YMMV.
i'll agree with marty that his music started sucking post-BITUSA when he started trying to write major statements--i feel the same way about jackson browne and the much less gifted john mellencamp. he did get off a good one now and again after BITUSA (as stated above, I did like his lowkey woody guthrie thing), and his records certainly sounded better, but the for me all his essential stuff was pre-1985 or so.
He was interesting early on and from DOTEOT into the 80s but not so much to me of late. I probabably should give some of his later stuff more of a fair try though. I think he took offense to BITUSA being used for political purposes and that seemed to trigger a bigger focus in political things to counter that with him. That whole deal did not help with me but in all fairness I’ve not given much of his later stuff a chance and he has had his moments over the years that can stike a chord with me from time to time, more so when romanticizing about more everyday things in regular peoples lives (at least those in Jersey) as he did in a lot of his early classic works or just having some fun and rocking out. Pink cadillac is a great rock and roll tune!

I am not from Jersey but went to school at Rutgers during his earlier heyday years. He was the rock God there for sure. I never quite saw him that way but learned to appreciate why most there did.