Best TT under $1k

I’m looking to get into vinyl but don’t really no where to begin. I’ve been doing ample research on what TT to buy but am seeking the opinions of the A-gon community. I’m looking to spend under a grand, $750 if I can get away with it. (new or used)

Some units that I’ve looked at online:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB Turntable – $599
Rega Planar 2 Turntable – $675
VPI Cliffwood Turntable – $900
Rega Planar 3 Turntable – $945
Technics SL-1200MK2

Criteria in order of importance:

- Sound quality
- Must include cart
- Excellent build quality
- Upgrade-able. Usable now but can upgrade down the road.
- Easy to setup/ use/ maintain

Thanks,

Joe

128x128audionoobie
Get yourself a used japanese Direct Drive instead of those cheap belt drive nonsense. The reason why they are relatively cheap is the belt drive.

Used Technics is still cheap just because Matsishita made millions of them. But a good Direct Drive motor ain’t cheap.

My advice is to expand the budged to $1700 for new Technics SL1200GR or vintage classics like Luxman PD-441, Denon DP-80, Victor TT-81 etc.

If you can find a nice clean Rega like a early P3 for a good price like $450 or so, then you can get your foot in the door.
 Then you can shop all the various upgrades that are out there.
Each upgrade can make for a nice improvement and can make it pretty interesting and fun at the same time !

+1 chackster, OP not going to get all the priorities listed for less than a grand. I agree with chackster a used vintage DD in good shape will perform better than a cheap BD new. I still use my vintage 76 Sony PS4300 DD to compare with my VPI and although 40 years old it still satisfies. Both get playtime.
I wouldn’t let the inclusion of a cartidge dictate your purchase. If you want a very good NIB table with warranty, the Pioneer PLX-1000 is the best value by a country mile. Order it from somewhere like Needle Doctor or Music Direct and ask them to install a cartridge like the https://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-VM540ML-Phono-Cartridge

Keep in mind that your analog system will need a phono preamp unless your receiver or integrated (or separate line stage preamp) already has one built-in. I’d go with the Mo-Fi Studio Phono at $250. This would put you a little over budget at MSR prices, but most dealers will gladly grant a 10% discount simply for asking. Tell Needle Doctor you’d like the whole package for $1K. That would yield a very respectable starter system IMO and provide a path to support should you run into any problems.
There is a Denon DP6000 for sale $790 on another site related to an audio asylum.