Best speakers around $130k?

Go!

mjbishop99

Showing 11 responses by mozartfan

Go! The Joke is on YOU hahahaha, No such thing as a great sounding 130k speaker,,, too funny.

just because a speaker is expensive has no meaning as to the level of fidelity. Fidelity, pure, neutral, natural, no coloratin, no resonances, no fq spikes, no fatigue, Just only reflects EXACTLY how the recording was made in the studio/symphony hall.

As close to the actual perfomance as technically possible within limits of science.

I’ve found vintage just don;’t cut the mustard, They are all colored with resonances.

The only speakers that I know that qualify for fidelity as horns and FR.

xover types are not in the same league.

They all have issues.

What amzaes me is that some  audiophiles will continue to hold on to old memories of vintage speakers and believe they sound *fantastic*.

As Bob and others have stated, it is the OPs prerogative as to how they spend their hard-earned capital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sure none of US (objectors to the OP’s ideology, fantasy, faulty beliefs ) to the EQ = More you spend = Better the speaker sound. Which as we all well seasoned audiophiles know thi is a false and fake dictum. More you spend never has, nor ever will **guarantee* super fidelity. And we all know who started this bogus nonsense,,, our old propagandists , big fat mouths, ~~~STEREOPHILE~~~~~~~~~~~~ aka Sterile-O-phile,,hahahahahaaaaaa Just setting the record STRAIGHT, once and for all time. I’d put my speakers up to any super mega price bloated speaker, any and all. Midrange as reference.

Even if I could afford the big guns, Dali

Sonus faber

Rockport

Wilson

did I miss any??

oh yeah 

DALEAUS speakers $$$$$$$$

Even IF, 

I'd pass on all.

and buy the ones I have now.

Under,,R U ready.??

.Get this

less than 

1G.

Fidelity has nothing whatsoever to do with price tag.

Midrange only as reference, Sure the big guns dual 10 inch woofers will offer more (= LOUDER) bass.

Big deal. 

All  unbiased opiniosn based on exp of knowing how the very finest midwoofers perform. Along with oe of the best tweeters ever made.

So dont  come back and say  **you dont know what you are talking about,. And both had Troels  demands, high end drivers demand high end caps. 

I gave em all they needed to perform, yet they failed the test to quality as high fidelity.

Theres a  new kid on the block.

fleschler1,384 posts 01-01-2022 6:37pm @mozartfan - My friend's Von Schweikert VR-35 Export is a fantastic speaker with 1st order crossovers at 80 Hz and 6K Hz, essentially a full range driver (pair) with subwoofer and supertweeter. With a McIntosh C20 and RM-9 pre and amp, it reproduces music lifelife, huge soundstage, open, perfect tonality and with tunefull bass ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ You know some months back i came across the VS speakers here on audiogon, Surprised me, as its the one and ONLY commercial speaker that ,,if you can believe it,,, that held my attention. Let me look more into its makeup,,,you say it actually has some sort of FR/wide band as mid??? Here it is with the incredible super SET ~~Kronzilla~~~ not the best record/cam quality, but we get a hint

look, let me make a  feeble attempt to explain what i've been blabbing about these past 6 months or even longer. 

OK so the VS's have some sort of 3/4 way.

Tweeter , OK, I have 1 now about to add a  2nd

ck

FR, not sure about the VS FR driver. Sounds **ok**, but can't say for sure.

From the looks, its not on the same level as the DLVX8, which IMHO is based on the old legendary Coral Beta 8, which was the heir to EV and Jensen (I dont like Lowther, Fostex not sure, not heard the speaker).

And VS has dual 8 or 10 inch woofers.

I have none, 

So what I did was add another 6 FR to pad up the bass 60ish hz region, the DLVX 8 hits maybe 50hz, says 40hz on the specs, but I have no idea.

VS's dual 10's give  rock solid bass for hard hitting muisc.

I listen to soft,  classical, dont need dual woofers. 

All dual woofers is going to do is add ohms to the demand on the amp's power.

My Defy could handel a  woofer, but not with

dual FR + dual tweeters( 2nd T arriving this week)

8 ohms x 4 on a  8 watt 2A3PP , already with 3 8ohms the outs are warming up  a  bit. adding another T might take the lil DHT PP to its very limit.

AS I say my Defy could handle the VS .

But again, dual woofers have no use for my music and small rm parimeters.

The Duo FR + duo T's, will accomandate any size room, and any size amp, ,,well, if its a  flea watt amp, 1-5 watts, better have nice trans, nothing cheap like in my Yaqin 2A3 amp.

Lets take a  look at VS4 specs,, be right back......

well come to find out, Von Schweikert, dumped the 4 witha FR driver and has gone 100% all ACCUTON Ceramic drivers,,,,hummm game changer, usinga 5 or 6 inch ceramic as dedicated midrange.

That alone aint gonna fly with me.

My tech says avoid all/every midrange drivers.

I agree

2nd

4 ohms impedance.

Gotta be 8 or no deal

last but most critical importance. db sensitivity,,and the VS55's,,,,come in ,,LOW

88db sens.

I just dumped my Seas Thors(miserable 87 dbsens) as the shootout with a cheap chinese FR(90 db sens, Diatone, garbage) was bloody, the Thor went down EVEN before he had a chance to EVEN reach for his gun.

Bloody I tell you

If a speaker is not 92db sens on very lowest , and to 95db at the highest. I pretty much, in fact dismiss it.

My new tweet to avvive, Seas clone says 92db, if its really in real time 90db, its ok, tweeters can get a breat.

But never a tweet at 89db, = trash.

And yes I have the Jadis Defy, true 100 watts, can esaily drive a 4 ohm, low sens speaker with ease anda breeze.

But you lose finesse.

Higher sens speakers (92db+) sound better = higher fidelity. The Thors were in fact fidelity but at a lower level, 87db sens.

Speakers to qualityb for HIGH fidelity is not such a simple EQ.

THere are certain parimeters that have to be met, even before we can begin the evaluation on the actual voicing.

To evaluate a speakers level of fidelity,, its a not such a simple trask.

Although it does not take me long being in a speakers prescence to make a immediate call on if its worth the demo, = does the speaker actually havea ticket?

Or did it try to dona fancy cabinet, witha big name, highly promoted, well known, popular, famous even

None of these things concern me.

Just plop the speaker down, behind the curtain, I’ll tell you if it has flaws and what are the weaknesses to prevent it from being ~~~Classed~~ as a true ~~High Fidelity Speaker.

(Philips lingo back in 1980 on their fantastic 475 2 way, 473 3 ways, also the Grafyz SP10 has the same AD162 magical tweeter)

WE need standards, reference speakers.

WE need fair, unbiased, no snakeoil, straight shooting, TRUTHFUL , evalutaions and **opinions**. based on old seasoned experiences.

Good luck finding someone that will call the shot as the speaker REALLY sounds , w/o *bias* pun intentional.

The Thors qualify as such a reference, as do all Troels Gravesen speakers.

When it comes to speakers I show no mercy, no forgiveness. 

Besides, VS55 at $100k-$325K

states 

4 ohms. 

But lets guess the 4 drivers are all 8 phms a  piece.

8 ohms x 4 drivers  does not = 4 ohms, something less than 4, maybe 2-3 ohms

= not tube friendly, at least not a  SET or DHT PP.

VS's are for big ss amps. 

Lets all stay on the same page. 

and heavy. My DL Duo's , tops 30 lbs. 

VS's 55's  mids are not even going to come close to the DL Duo's. 

PLUSSSSS

Be Tweet,

My tech strongly advises I avoid the Beryllium dome tweeters.

The VR55 misses on every single point of consideration.

Yet read the reviews, **Stunning,, the best, UNREAL,, wowo factor off the charts,, MUST Have, ,,Beats my Wilson Reference,,,..,, competes with all speakers over the $100k tag......***

Thats all these big hefty  speaker loaded cabinets are, a  bunch of tweets, midwoofers, woofers,,, nothing more nothing less.

My Dual FR will soon this week!!!!!!!! have dual tweeters,,, YT vid comming your way./My tech utterly despises and hates, deplores these YT vids,, as **complete garbage** we have decided to agree to disagree,

You do  realize  that techs dont know everything. 

Science is both a good and has a down side. 

tweeter, 2 midwoofers I got that + a  bit of woofer thrown in , got that, UNDER $1k, 30 lbs at most

the new xover types, 200 lbs - 600 lbs each cabinet, not the pair, EACH , a  bit more bass, $100k-$300k.

This aint rocket science,  its more  common sense.

Goes back to the old saying

Ya can't buy fidelity

aint for sale folks. 

intend to purchase the Von Schweikert VR9SE Mk II which has many drivers, 4 way crossover per transition with 94db 6 ohm ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ You actually, really , believe VS's spercs, 94db, 6 ohms on the VR9? Bet any money its not over 90 db sen s and less than 4 ohm load. I dont trust any speaker specs, with the exception of a few Full range manufacturers. Even soem FR labs are fudging the numbers. But as for xover style speakers the numbers mean nothing. My ideal db sens are 93-95, , which just so happen to be the specs on the 2 drivers in my system, 93 and 95. I might go 91/92 in tweeters, and 96 in a FR driver, , but IDEALLY, 93-95 is best for a balanced sound. 90 db tweeters I find too recessed, And a 97 db FR I find too forward in midrange. All VS's can't break above 90db. Based on the drivers employed , which are all low sens drivers, So how is it even remotely possible to attain a above 90 db spec on drivers with all BELOW 90 db rating. aka Seas, Scanspeaks, Accuton, SB Acoustics, All 4 manufacturers below 90 db on drivers