Best speakers around $130k?

Go!

mjbishop99

There are none!

Only speakers that may be preferred by some but yet bettered by many at various price points. It's all personal preference like most components in the Audio chain.

Must have been a slow Sunday at your place or try at a passive brag.🤑🤑🤑

"A speech by Tony Blair costs roughly $8,600 a minute, says the Times of London"

Looks like it would get you about 15 minutes ...

Stacked pair of used Large Advents inside a $129,000 house. Or if you already own a home, the Advents and a Porsche 911.

Post removed 
Post removed 

Sony SS-CS5

I mean, how close does it have to be to the $130K mark? If pressed, I could probably get it closer to $130K...

Acapella Audio Arts have speakers over $100K, and they look *wonderful*.  Sonar Faber are splendid and are of a more traditional design.

There are others, like some Wilsons , but I reckon that they look like something out of the movie Aliens.  I'd have bad dreams if they were in my house.

At this price point you are actually looking at quite a wide price range.

The Venture Grand Ultimate is now up to MKIV.  I listened to a previous iteration at a show; the best speakers I have ever heard. Amazing.  (Their entry level model, in the high 30's when I heard it, was lovely too.)

Of course, Venture is far too refined to list MSRP in their website, but I imagine it is well into 6 figures.

noske's amusing remark about the stuff of nightmares is well taken.

While the Ventures would not be the malevolent visual presence of the big  Wilson's in your listening room, they are, while attractive (actually pretty tasteful by super speaker standards), imposing, and would be best suited to a dedicated listening space approximately the size of modest aircraft hanger.

Do let us know how this comes out!

@jdoris The Venture Grand Ultimate is now up to MKIV. I listened to a previous iteration at a show; the best speakers I have ever heard. Amazing. (Their entry level model, in the high 30’s when I heard it, was lovely too.)

Of course, Venture is far too refined to list MSRP in their website, but I imagine it is well into 6 figures.

They are tremendous and quite delicious. I do note that they are 4 ohm. I have been known to regret noting such things, but so be it.

Edit - and now I checked out Ultimate Reference.  Why not.

@noske 

Glad you agree about the Ventures.  Interesting about the 4 Ohms.  Not to many speakers I know of like that.

Is the idea that 4 ohms constrains amp choices?  I'm guessing folks buying 130k speakers aren't so worried about that :)

TOTL Ventures powered by Wavac monoblocks made my jaw drop at CES a number of years ago. The newer ones are probably equal or better. 

Or maybe 30 pairs of Tektons?

Cheers,

Spencer

Tony Blair is much cheaper than Bill Clinton. His fee is $500k minimum booking

Question 1: Best speakers around $130K?

Question 2: What is the best bang for your buck in yachts over 100 feet?

Question 3: Do your require your butlers and maids to wear uniforms?

Easy…. Vandy 7 extreme, Vandy liquid cooled monoblocks, Vandy Sub 9 swarm configuration…..

best is a silly question…

i am a good, better, best Robot

or MBL with a Musical Fidelity AMS-100, you will need staff onsite to move any of it….but big fun

I am a MBL robot in a cheap beer world..

Post removed 

@hilde45

GR Research makes fine kits and speakers, but so far as I know, they top out at a few grand.

What do 125 grand in mods look like?

More generally, I'm guessing a build at the price point would exceed the competence of all but a few audiophiles, or even professionals.

@jdoris You're right. Deleted my post! Super-7's by GR with magnetic planar ribbons and open baffle bass came to about $20k in parts and if someone else built it, I guess that could be a bit more, but nowhere near $130k. My bad.

So I did not intend to turn this into a discussion about class or means or who has the biggest wallet.  I recently had the privilege to have an extended listening session with a pair of Alexx Vs (~$135K) and SF Aidas (~same).  I am mostly curious about what is their competition at that price point.  They are two very different speakers, with different sounds, looks, and focus.  What compares in that price range?  I don't own a yacht, retain no servants, and have never booked a politician for a party.   FYI.

as far as the yacht goes, just a lowly aluminum fishing boat, and a housekeeper who knows NEVER dust the HiFi  !,, especially the turntable 

I am a clean room robot in a dusty world…

Jim

@noske...Ultimate Reference listed a 6 ohms. I like the fact that 1st order XOs are used thruout.

second tomic601 on the Vandersteens as at Audio Connection with Richard for the demo just jaw dropping amazing 

For $60k less the MBL 101 , with quality electronics are very you are there 

natural proper setup is key 

I think the important thing with such criteria is to make sure price tags are indelible and discretely attached where they will be noticeable but not so obvious that one might think you were bragging.

I never will understand why people get so upset about questions such as these. Either he has the money and is looking for ideas, or he doesn’t and we can all dream :)

I’m personally a huge Wilson Audio fan. The Alexx can be had at this price point

Sonus Faber Aida are right at this price.

Edit: I feel as though I need to post my system, to keep up :D. MC601 C2600 Mcintosh, Watt/Puppy 6 MB50 Mcintosh Streamer.  Customer room with GIK acoustics treatment.  

How do you plan to power these?

Just looking for ideas, folks.  Rail me if you want, but I’m not sure how that makes for “community”.  As for power and pre-, I am currently running Boulder 2060 and 2110.  

I really appreciate the productive comments so far.  Helping with me research. 

On the Alexxs (or any Wilson), I appreciate them.  In the end, they are a little too forward for my tastes and the look is not for me. 

to the OP…don’t let em get ya down…. Boulder is excellent gear as you know. Merry Christmas to you.

may you enjoy the fruits of your labor as YOU wish ;-)

Jim

Go! The Joke is on YOU hahahaha, No such thing as a great sounding 130k speaker,,, too funny.

If you don’t like the Alexx V, see if you can hear a pair of Alsyvox Botticellis with the external x-overs.Maybe even the Caravaggio model.

MBL 101 has already been mentioned. 

Borresen 01 both sounds great and looks great.

Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus..... and they are much cheaper.

And if you must spend around $130k, go for a single OMA imperia and start saving for the second one.

Check out YG Sonja 2.3 - much prefer to Wilson and Rockport. Your amps will drive them fine. 

Post removed 

I thought the OP was looking up to 130K, those Raido are a bit more.

Maybe he could try the MBL 101 X-Treme System, or the Estelon Forza speakers.

I'm in Stitches reading this .. the Original 130K question and the replies too..  MJBISHOP said he was serious  and really looking..  /asking..   MJ should have articulated his Question Better..   IF He Wanted a Real True Opinion..  Sorta like me asking I'd like to buy a really good socket to change my oil and plugs for my Bugatti La Voiture Noire.

Obviously any recommendation for any audio product is just you ought to audition it. I don't believe anyone has recommended Rockport speakers yet and they are a no brainer to include in your search. The Lyra is a bit above your quoted price but may be in your area and it's one of the most impressive designs I've seen. Plus the designer seems to have his own reflex alignment which appears to give a reflex speaker many of the good qualities of a closed box. This is not just a claim; it showed up in a Stereophile graph of an older model.

Based on your pre and amp, as well as you feeling Wilson is too forward, Kharma Exquisite Classique or Midi would be perfect for you. They are probably one of the best speakers I've ever heard, and go absolutely fantastic with Boulder electronics.

Best speakers I ever heard : Ilumnia Magister MK2 , KEF Muon. Not my stuff: B&W, S. Faber , Wilson,… ( no natural sound)

Reading your post I immediately imagined all the BS and sick jokes you will get in response. I do not understand too how this attitude supports the audiophile community, that this forum supposedly represents.

Now to your question - I don’t think there are lots of (any?) options that can beat Magico in this price segment. Used Q7 will be even below your price tag and with your gear they should sound terrific.

@jdoris  Hey - just now I had cause to check my EL34 tube amp and behold!  There is a 4ohm tap.  I had forgotten.  Eat me.

So I'm good for a pair of those Ventures babes, and (from some reviews) the dude who designs them seems like a happy and very erudite bloke.

Glad you agree about the Ventures.  Interesting about the 4 Ohms.  Not to many speakers I know of like that.

Is the idea that 4 ohms constrains amp choices?  I'm guessing folks buying 130k speakers aren't so worried about that :)