Audiophile Addiction

I met a man on Audiogon who had a fairly high-end system and he was selling the whole thing off. I asked him why, which is the purpose of this posting, is that he was constantly trying to find the perfect sound from his audio system and came to the conclusion it does not exist. Additionally, he said most often all of his hours of listening were alone, taking many hours of quality time from his family. In addition, he said he was listening to his equipment vs. the music. He is now very happy listening to background music with his family from his AV system. I don't know, I just wanted to share this story as I myself fall into this trap (made me think).
rpg
Great point, Jeff. Sharing Hi-End sound with the family can be a enjoyable activity. I know here in my Man-Cave sometimes a family member comes down and takes pause, asking who the artist is and how good it sounds. I need to get my system out of the man-cave and in the family room for all to enjoy. And yes, it's all about the music - well put!
My system is in my man cave for me to enjoy, and for anyone else who cares to listen. There's nothing wrong with me having a place to veg and get away from the world, and yes, even get away from my family once in a while.
And since most of my listening time is when the family is in bed (late night and early morning), it's not practicle to have it in the open parts of the house.

All hobbies can get out of control, it's true. Just don't let it get out of control and enjoy, guilt free. You know you deserve it.
Man Caves Rule!
Dear Sebrof, my man cave is still intact and to be honest I like it that way, I do make a point to ask others in my home if they would like to join me and they decline stating the streaming audio in my AV system is just fine and in the center of the home. I'm glad their happy.
Good topic!

Any truly loved hobby is like an addiction in many ways. Everyone needs to find their own correct balance.

Perfection is in the ear of the listener. Audiophilia is an unsolvable dilemma. Realize there is no absolute sound. Its all real! Lots of it is really good. Do your homework. Make choices. Be happy!
One thing to remember in context is that moods associated with addictive behaviors tend to track in sinusoids from elation to boredom/regret. If the equipment hobby or your purchasing habits tend to drag you along this curve then consider professional help.