Are You Happy With Your Phono Preamp?

I have been gradually upgrading my analogue components.  Which presently consist of: SME 20/2 turntable (old but good), Kuzma 4Point Tonearm, Soundsmith Hyperion (MI) cartridge (love this), Dynavector (MC) DRT XV1, PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp (connected to ARC Ref 6, Pass Labs 160.8, Avantgarde Uno).  I have to say that I am very happy with the analogue sound from this system.  That said, high end audio being what it is I can’t help wondering if I am leaving some better sound on the table with the PS Audio phono preamp … though I know I should not judge by price alone.  I have been looking alternative phono stages:  the VTL 6.5i, ARC Reference 3SE, Boulder 508, Pass XP17 … this price range.  Those who are long experienced analogue lovers … do you think I am leaving any sound quality on the table by sticking with the PS Audio phono stage? Do you believe that I would see a meaningful change in sound quality by moving to a phono stage in the price range I have been looking at?

chilli42

P.S. before the VTPH-2A, while I didn’t have the Parasound JC3+, I did indeed upgrade from the JC3 Jr.   Big difference.  

I have been Wed to a selection of Pre Amp's' over the years and have had Honeymoon and Estranged Periods with the same devices, fortunately in the order of Bliss followed by Tribulation.

A few years back, I was caught on a DIY Build Thread for a Pass Design Pre Amp', which I was quite encouraging about and as a result was over time introduced to five build guises of it.

I have been impressed beyond the usual and one owner chose the Pre over a selection of Branded Pre's that were demonstrated with an intention to purchase. 

One the built models has been used in my system for over 18 Months and has made a extremely good impression to the point I have had two PCB 's produced to enable myself to have a 'commission built' Balanced Version of the design.

The difficult to comprehend part, is that without a Case, these can be produced for very fair money, even if a Commission Build is carried out.

How far a individual is wanting to go with the aesthetic, will add to the end cost.

I have seen one produced with repurposed Black Gate's with a Three Box Design inclusive of Circuitry and Source Selector Module, Standalone VC and Standalone Power Supply for less than £500. It was this model that shone above Branded Pre's during a comparison demonstration. A Basic Build that was also present, at the demonstration, proved that it was very close in comparison to a few quite expensive Pre's.

The Basic Pre Amp' was the one that the individual behind organising the demonstrations opted for, which has over a period of time had an extra couple of hundred extra spent on it, and with the improved parts on board, does punch well above its cost for the sum of parts. 

Disclaimer:

1, As for a Transparent Presentation, this Pre' falls into the category of being  epitome to this sonic trait.

2, If not a ee savvy individual, the Build is best to be produced/ sourced from a skilled in ee technician.       

I have always wanted to hear music first produced from a cartridge (balanced output) to a phono amp that is fully balanced, to a balanced headphone amp, and finally into headphones wired for a balanced signal.

I am happy and frustrated with my phono set up as is. It is mostly about the phono preamps that I have tried. I did build a John Broskie Aikido phono preamp and also an Aikido headphone amp that go extremely well together. Using ZMF headphones tops it all off, and I would change that. 

Ok, so if I go the more common direction with this phono amp and connect it through my system, the sound is way off. So I leave it for the headphone system only.

Different problem next, I also built a Pete Millett phono preamp (LCR design) and while I am impressed with its sound through my system, there is a bit of hum that I have yet to find. It is only in one channel. 

Both of these phono preamps have their merits, but I do prefer the Aikido. 

Ralph from Atma-sphere should chime in about the details of ARC balanced. He has a superb understanding of balanced/differential circuits.