APL 3910, Exemplar 3910, MF KW, Esoteric X-01?

I currently have Krell KPS-28c cd player ($8500). I am thinking about upgrading in the near future. Please help me decide which player – most important for me is “red book” format. The rest of my gears are Krell KCT pre-amp ($9000), Krell 400cx amp ($10500) and Wilson Audio Sophia ($11500). Following are possible players in random order:
Musical Fidelity KW SACD - $7,000.00
Krell CD/SACD – to be released soon (because of CAST) - $?
ESOTERIC X-01 SACD/CD - $13,00.00
APL 3910 - $5000.00
Exemplar 3910- $4000.00

Will I be down grading instead of upgrading with any of the above player?

Thanks in advance for your input
sd2005gt

Showing 1 response by dvavc

You must compare them in your system and believe to your ears only. I don’t think you'll be downgrading at least with Esoteric, but there is not a simple yes or no. You have to decide first what you mean by upgrade. Some times what somebody considers upgrade would be completely opposite from what you want to achieve. I ‘v seen this movie before. Like you I started with all Krell components and Wilson speakers. Not a greatest idea in hi end stereo.  You can also consider for the beginning to play with different DACs using your Krell as transport. I would start from trying different cables and preamps, and after that decide if you need another player. You have to find out first what exactly bugging you in your present system and what do you want to upgrade. Don’t change ore then one piece at a time – you won’t be able to understand which component made a change.
Somebody’s opinion does not mean anything because it is his priorities in sound, based on his taste and experience limited to his components and his room and his couch standing next to his speakers. It is allot of bias info from the dealers who interested to sell their products, so, don't rush to buy anything without listening it first in your own system and your own room.
P.S. There are couple more players to consider besides those you named – Mephisto; Accuphase; EMM CDSD/DCC2 etc.