6922 tube

I have a Cayin CD17 Mark1, takes 2 6922 unbalanced (which i run in) and 2 balanced(which i never will use), So I hada   tube flipping business that went sour = lost $$$$,,anyway,, started buying all sorts, A-Z 6922/6dj8,7dg8, ecc88, cc88, etc etc, 188's, 288's, etc etc, I;'ve heard nearly every variety/lab of this variant. 
= all sounded nearly identical..
Now maby in your Acoustic reserach a  6922 can be diciphered from others,,but in my cayin CD17, all sound nearly identical. 
So I figured, <<must be the circuitry = not so sensitive as per tube typology>> , long story short,, one of the 288's, were bad, amperex, like $125 each,,so a  friend lent me a  pair of russian military Gold Aero,,,pulg them in,,, wow, my system went sour., after all my countless mods, with super high tech parts, were made ~~null and VOID~~~,,all over a  pair of 6922 russian Gold Aero military tubes,, He says they are actually not 6922;'s, but,, can't recall the specific name of this tube. 
But its far and away from a  true musical 6922. 
While every other Tele, Siemens, vavlo (both Red print and White) Philips RCA , GE etc etc ETCCCCC,,all sound nearly exact..
~~~~~Bottom line~~~ Do not waste your money buying the Tele 6922 pair froma  german seller for $1500, nor others selling any /all variety of 6922 for over say,,,$20 each,m, Yep you heard me right,, You should  never ever pay more than $20 for any 6922 type tube.
All those countless $50-$1500 and maybe even $2500 fora  pair of  NOS 6922 is pure 100$ snakeoil.
Now a  AX and a  AU, now here we do indeed hear minisclue differences, which make me a fan of Tele and only the Tele. a  Tele offers in my system superior resolution.. Not by much,, but as i've said countless times in all my threads,, a  nunace here, a  miniscule there, a  tweak here, a upgrade there = all adds up to a  superior  sound.
a  6922= 6dj8 = 7dj8, ecc88, =cc88 = 188 =288,,However my tech guy who lent me the russian non muiscal 6922, said this player is best using any 6922, except the 288... has a  dif heater value. 
So do not waste your money thinking a  over $50 pair of 6922's will improve your sound. 
A Tele 6922 is not superior to any 6922(preferable USA/EU) ever made.(just make sure its not chinese= I do not like chinese pretubes>>> nor russian military),,I have a quad of EH's comming in 1 week,, that is one 6922 I've not heard,,will report ASAP. 
rant over.
Snakeoil buster here,
,strikes again..
Toucheeee

mozartfan

Showing 2 responses by tomcy6

mozartfan,

I advise you to change the way you go about building your system.  I think I recall another thread where you were swapping between different tube types in the 12xx7 family of tubes without finding out if the different tube types were compatible with your gear.  If that was not you, my apologies.

Slow down.  Learn before you buy.  There are tube dealers who will talk to you about what tubes may give you the sound you want.

The way you have approached tube rolling is a sure-fire way to spend a lot of money and end up disappointed.  Differences between tubes are not snake oil, but they are not always night and day different either.

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with the 6922, but I think you will eventually find the whole idea of high-end audio to be snake oil if you continue to approach it in the same way you did these tubes.
If you want to waste your money rolling tubes and hallucinating

Here is where the trouble always starts.  People try to present what they hear with their ears in their system as universal truths instead of their personal experience.

We could stop a lot of arguments if people would just remember that what they hear is not what everyone else hears.