Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd
No I am using a Belden 14 gauge cord, but I am using the same cord on the Modright as well.
It is time to update my digital (currently using an old faithful-heavily modded Pioneer Elite PD-65) with Michael Wolff carbon source power cord.

I am really considering the Sony unit, but would like to know if there are upgrades/mods available that are not an *additional* $2,000 - like the modwright?

With as much positive ink and as many pleased consumers as there are with the Sony unit, there seems to be very little info on less expensive upgrades. Maybe I'm just not in the [d-i-y community] know or I'm not looking in the [w]right place :-)

Can anyone suggest worthwhile upgrades/mods (and modders) in the $500 range?
I think the most common suggestion is upgrading the power cord. I have been a skeptic of this as an upgrade, but I added a cord recommended by my audiophile friends, a cord that looks more like a garden hose than a power cord. It may have made a difference, but not the kind of difference those who rave about such things would suggest. OTOH, changing to the XA5400ES from a DVP-S900ES made a big difference.

db
I too am using a 14 gauge Belden on the MW and it sounds fantastic. I've always heard the benefits of upgrading interconnects and speaker cables but have never been impressed by power cords, and I've tried many.

Ain't no way a power cord is gonna cure what's wrong with the Playback Design. Maybe a couple hundred more hours of break-in but to suggest that swapping a power cord will somehow magically make the necessary sonic improvements strikes me as naive.

Like Dbphd, I see so many posts suggesting a power cord change to correct bad sound, it's laughable. Buy a component that sounds good in the first place and you won't have to worry about Anaconda sized power cords!
A great power cord CAN make improvements, but to what extent they effect ones perception of the sound is as unpredictable as the individual using it. An MIT power cord will address many aspects of powerline contamination, which will allow the component to deliver vastly superior performance in real world terms, such as better dynamics and dynamic contrasts, superior low level resolution and reduced distortion. Imaging and tonal accuracy are often discernible as well. Of course you don't have to believe ME...just arrange for an in home demo from Joe Abrams at Equus Audio online.
I also own the Playback Design as well as the MW 5400. I have Dan's additional mods, Nichicon Caps, Bybees, Audio Magic pulse generator as well as the latest
umbilical cord. This adds about $1300. to the 2K standard mod. I've also upgraded the tubes with a Mullard rectifier and NOS Tungsol 6NS7s (I preferred these to Sylvanias), as well as after-market power cords. I have an after-market power cord on the PD as well. The MW is very good, extremely musical....the addition of Dan's umbilical cord was a surprisingly big improvement....more dynamics and vibrancy. However the PD just exceeds it in just about every way....the best digital I've ever heard and I've owned and heard quite a few of the "best". However the PD DEFINITELY needs 500 hours of burn-in. Read Fremer's review in Stereophile....a most unusual change in sonics during those 500 hours. I went through almost an identical series of sonic upheavals during that process....which actually made me doubt my ears!
Lula, JWM and I have made the same exact "upgrades" to our MW's as you; Audio Magic, new umbilical, NOS Mullard and Tungsols(black glass) and each change made for serious sonic improvements and were all worthwhile. That said, the "stock" MW still sounds fantastic.

You may well be right about the additional break-in time needed for the PD. It really does sound pretty ordinary at the moment but JWM has it running 24/7 and we're waiting to hear what happens. One of us will no doubt report back.

Dave_b, if your MIT power cord made a significant sonic improvement, that's great but in my experience and the experience of four 'phile friends who own very expensive systems, we're all in agreement, the sonic changes made by power cords are subtle at best and often not for the better.

All but one of us have dedicated 20amp lines powering our equipment. I have four; one for each mono amp, one for digital source and one for analog source. We've all tried various cords, some quite expensive, and often, we try them in each others systems. As I said, the consensus is, the changes are subtle at best.

My suggestion to anyone considering a power cord change, upgrade your power first. What I find interesting in your case, you spent more on your MIT power cord than on most of your other components. Some might find that odd.

an inexpensive mod, i have been told by a tech, is to replace the cheap op amps in the sony.

i wonder what improvement will result, in absence of other mods ?
Rfogel8, I've owned $4k power cords and $20K plus wires with many 6 figure systems over many years....my meager AC 1 has been around for years and the system I speak of is for my smallish sitting room. I did mention that what one hears is dependant on the individual, in other words, not everyone listens for the same things. Some aren't able to or simply don't put a priority on low level resolution or micro dynamic contrast...hell some wouldn't know the sound of a violin from a viola. Small improvements in a reference system are HUGE for the audiophile anyway! I've been to so called audiophile parties where the volume level barely reached that of a small am radio at 20 paces, and there was more hum in the system then musical content. Habits and priorities will determine alot of what is decided during ones evaluation of a given product.
Most of the time I read about how great this product is and how great that product is and I look at the people's systems making the review comment and they don't even have any room treatments in there music room.
How can they evaluate equipment when there room sounds like the Grand Canyon ?
If you have the best of everything in equipment and don't have a well treated room, your only half way there.
One can't hear much difference in power cords if there room isn't well treated.
I've heard the Sony in my room and it was a great CD player. Much better than anything I've ever heard.
I know that if it had the stock power cord on it it would have fallen short (shorter) to my ears compared to what it sounded like with a good quality PC.
I have heard some major improvments with PC's. I've also heard some major disapointment in them as well.
But evaluating a PC when every note is being echoed off of every wall is naive to say the least.
Yes, Zmanastronomy, that is the thing; on the Internet, no one knows that your room is a dog.

Kal
Rgs92:
Headphone-based findings remove the room-related factors.
and impose an entirely different set of factors.

Kal
Excellent points guys, regarding room issues....the room will get ya every time, if it isn't factored in and dealt with properly.
MrTennis,

Did your tech recommend an op amp to replace the existing op amps in the Sony?

I was told the the existing ones were of good quality.

Thanks
hi wesstborn:

i don't own a sony but have been considering a purchase. so far the lowest price for a new unit has been $1100. i am waiting to get lucky, and pull the trigger when one becomes avilable for under $1000,. i may not be so lucky.

actually a friend commented upon the fact that opamps in most stock cd players are not the best quality and replacing them can often improve the sound. the question is replacing the stock op amp(s) with what ?

i believe that the modwright mod includes a replacement of the opamps, but am niot sure. his mod is expensive--$1400.

this player has received many comments that extol its virtues, while others highlight its flaws, so i figure, if i buy the player, i would like to be protected by paying under $1000 for a new one, in case i don't like it.

i hope my comments are helpful.
Mrtennis,

While I think your series of posts in this thread have been mostly mental masterbation, and thus unworthy of reply, one comment in your 3/18 post left what I think is a misimpression. My impression is the number who extol the virtues of the XA54000ES far outweighs that of those who highlight it's flaws.

Caveat: I'm a very satisfied owner of an unmodded XA5400ES.

db
Well I now have 350 hours on the Playback Designs player and the sound is much better. I still prefer the Modright Sony for it is more organic sounding. The Playback is leaning towards the dryer sound. We will see if 500 hours changes things.
I have an NAD C565BEE which sounds far more engaging than the Playback Designs....it's for the listener who want's to hear digits instead of music.
I have the Sony and an EMM CDSA with the X upgrade, and although the Sony is competitive (which says a lot), the EMM does a lot better job of curing some of the digital evils, like the annoying glare of some lesser-quality CDs and even SACDs in the midrange (especially some vocals).
This makes the difference in many older CDs with music I love between being painful/unlistenable and being, well, just fine.

My intuition is that the EMM is playing skillfully with the digital processing in some kind of miraculous way, not just playing with frequency response or equalization.

The Sony and other players I have owned just don't seem to do this like EMM. Every CD I have tried with this EMM is free of fatal flaws, and some previously bad ones are now spectacular.

Having said that, on not-so-bad or even mediocre recordings, the Sony really does a great job of eliminating hardness, especially in the boundaries of images, which are silky and detailed, a very nice combination, and image saturation is great. Piano is very well handled in the Sony with impact and no annoying digital bite. And percussion is also great, also with impact and detail but again without hardness.

If the CD does not have an inherent "shout factor", which I feel is the one of the main problems of a number of CDs,
the Sony acquits itself very nicely. Instruments sound life size and just swing without piercing pain, and I get lost in the music. I think the images are even a bit bigger than the EMM, and I like that. And again, the overall signature is silkiness with evident but not overbearing impact.

Thanks for reading.
Just to ask the Playback Design fans, how do you feel it deals with digital glare, especially on poorly recorded CDs with vocals that are recorded or equalized to scream at you?
(OK, I know this is an acid test, but I am curious.)
Thanks in advance.
I haven't heard anyone talking about specific flaws about XA5400ES, other than general "I like another player better than Sony". The only complaint seems to be coming from mrtennis who don't own Sony and never even heard of it, yet seems to be full of opinions about this player.
Dave_b done an in depth review on the Sony 5400 here on AG.
Due to the comment he made above about the NAD C 565BEE I bought one. All I can say is THANK YOU DAVE!
Man o man,I am very impressed. It sounds as if it already has a tube upgrade.
I picked one of the refurbished units up here on AG for $569 shipped. Saved a ton of money compared to the Sony 5400 and I don't regret it at all.
Thank you Dave,for all your help in my decision.
Dave b states

"Just a sidebar here, I owned the 5400 and then Modwrighted it...just great! Recently I picked up an NAD C565BEE for my sitting room system...I'm blown away! Very fleshed out and sexy sounding with weight and authority..sweet highs. If SACD is not a priority then this could warm your soul for redbook!"

Hi Dave I recently commented on your review of the SCD-X5400ES. You stated last July that you were sending it out for the Modwright mod. No further comments on the results. After your quite enthusiastic comments of the stock unit I was anticipating your assessment of the mods. It seems that this NAD C 565BEE has maybe supplanted it? If not stated it seems implied as you haven't commented on your impressions of the modded Sony on this thread ("just great") or your review thread. The suspense is killing me, what gives?
i have never stated that i own the sony, only that i am considering it for purchase and there have been some comments that have been critical of it.

i don't know the score. it doesn't matter.

there are differences of opinion and the fact that there may me more pros than cons does imply that there is a risk when purchasing.

dbphd: no is twisting your arm to respond to my comments. i think you have misinterpreted them. it doesn't matter. t's just talk. incidentally use the dictionary next time you want to use the "m" word, as you spelled it incorrectly. I'm just joshing.

in the past sentiment has been expressed that opinions on audogon should be considered carefully. I am being euphemistic in my last statement.
03-02-11: Zmanastronomy
Has anyone noticed the OP hasn't chimed in since he started this thread ? That's odd.

Zmanastronomy, your observation has some merit. I believe the original poster was a shill. All of that bluster and not one response to all of the questions asked of him in over a year. As a matter of fact, he hasn't posted anywhere on the 'Gon since his original post. He did a good job garnering interest and curiosity for the machine. By a lot of accounts here it is a good machine, and it has surely gotten me curious. But I still believe the OP was a shill, his post reads like a carnival barker.
The Sony Modwright is a great player for music lovers and is a bargain at the asking price of $3500. I sold mine for financial reasons and a change of environment. The Sony easily competes with the best available:O)
One definition is

"A shill or plant is a person who helps another person or organization to sell goods or services without disclosing that he or she has a close relationship with the seller. The shill pretends to have no association with the seller/group and gives onlookers the impression that he or she is an enthusiastic independent customer."
A lot of passion around this player. I have the Modwright version. Is it the best player with the mod under $10K, $20K? I don't know. Unless I can listen to players in a direct blind A/B test and switch between the two rapidly, my audio memory isn't that great. I will say that it sounds very good and betters the Sony 999ES Modwright that I had. I find it hard to justify buying anything new that is digital because of technology changes. My Modwright was used (like new) and I have upgraded the tubes, power chords and umbilical. At this point I don't have a desire change and am very satisfied with it's performance.
I had the Ayre C5xe Universal player and added the MP upgrade to it. I had to sell due to finances. Bought the Sony SCD-XA5400ES based on Audiogoners opinions here and am happy as heck I did. I find it better in most ways than the AYRE. I have just installed Audioprism reference ground control to the Sony and what an upgrade. I'll bet this has brought me close to halfof the way of what a modwright upgrade does performance-wise. It was a very large upgrade. I have also put ground controls on my amp and speakers, and every improves the sound markedly!
i ecenetly spoke to dan wright about his mods to the sony and the opp 83 se.

here is a choice. in essence, warmth vs detail. one is not better than other , rather one is different than another.

players have strengths and weaknesses. one man's rupture is another's rapture.

so it is highly conjectural to speak of best player under any dollar amount.

just listen as much as you can.

i happen to be in the market for an sacd player, but it won't be the 5400. hopefully, it will have a tube or two in it.
In the abstract you are correct Mrtennis, but practicaly speaking, some things are better than others for the money. The 5400, modded or not, is such a player. The NAD C565BEE is another overachiever, albeit for a different buyer perhaps. Balance is the word that comes to mind, and I'll take that over exteme detail, warmth, smoothness or any other hyper characteristic. I find the best way to evaluate any component/system is to utilize live recordings...ones I have had experience with from direct participation or those that I have used repeatedly for evaluation of several different systems.
Mr. T, when you say,
i ecenetly spoke to dan wright about his mods to the sony and the opp 83 se. here is a choice. in essence, warmth vs detail.
Which one is warm and which one is detailed? Is this based on your conversation with Dan? If so, is the difference in Dan's opinion large, or a matter of shadings?
Mitch2
I have both and the Oppo is the warmer one and to me it is obvious on a short listen but I would not call it a great difference.
hi mystang:

dan told me he brought both modded players to the 2010 rocky mountain audio show, and said some preferred the modded oppo while others preferred the modded sony. he did not quantify the difference in warmth but suggested that i would not like the sony because it might be too resolving for my taste. he said the oppo was warmer. as you said he did not quantify the difference between the two.

i have two concerns:

1) based upon your observations, warmer may not be enough to achieve a tubey sound and if the difference is small, i probably won't like either.

2) he uses the modern tungsol 6sn7, which i have owned and find them lacking warmth. i wonder how much difference replacing the tungsol, with some nos sylvania, or rca might change the sound.

it may not pay to buy either. i may have to look else where for a more traditional tube sounding unit.

thanks for your observations. you may have saved me from making a mistake.

i probably would prefer an old sony like the scd 1.
Thanks for the follow-up with Dan Wright Mr. Tennis. I think this focuses this whole better/best matter into a more realistic perspective. I too was strongly considering the Sony after what I read but like you could not find unamious concensus on it and since I've owned 2 sony digital products from the past and not really being a fan of a certain "smoothness" that I have found with their products I was apprehensive. This is not to say that I may not have turned out to like the Sony but I just didn't want to take the chance on springing 1100.00 and finding out ultimately it wasn't to my taste.
My Modwrighted 5400 was not overly detailed or hyper resolving in the least. It did have warmth, palpability, dynamics, killer bass and sweet extended highs. It was the fine balance of sound it struck that won me over.
I've had the ModWright 5400es now for two weeks and have done extensive listening to redbook CDs and SACDs. My comparison is my previous Sony SCD-XA777es, my PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC and Bridge, and my vinyl front end (Clearaudio Innovation Wood with Graham Phantom B44 and Benz LP-S through Herron phono preamp). Since I jumped back into vinyl, I listen to albums 80 percent of the time and digital 20 percent of the time.

I purchased the ModWright 5400 in order to keep a player that would allow me to play my SACD collection, which I found to be much more pleasurable and analogue-sounding than listening to CDs.

I am amazed and over-the-top satisfied with the Modwright 5400 player. In fact, I'm almost alarmed how good it sounds (given what I've spent on other source components). I did not hear the stock 5400es (I had a new unit shipped directly to Dan at Modwright for his truth mods).

This is the one component in my system that marries the yin with the yang wonferfully. It is very detailed, transparent and open. At the same time isn't abrasive or etchy but is very musical and sweet and fluid (moreso with Transparent Audio Reference power cords installed on power supply and unit). It offers simultaneous access to last bit of inner detail, layering, dynamics, transients, punch. And, it is coherent...meaning I'm not sitting analyzing what I'm hearing but get lost in the music easier than usual, so it delivers to me a great pace, timing, holistic sound. There are many moments when I'm thinking how much I enjoy the ease of listening coupled with what sounds like all veils or grunge or opaqueness has been removed.

The biggest surprise....I have never heard standard CDs sound this good, through any system. In fact, I sent a note to Dan at Modwright telling him that I actually think some of my well recorded CDs sound better than many of my SACDs. This has confused me, and I have listened to a lot of CDs to see if it was a true pattern or not. Something about the Modwright 5400es makes the standard redbook CD sound amazing -- I'd say it matches or beats hi-rez files played through my DAC. I was burning all my CDs to my hard drive for playback solely through my PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC. Now, I'm looking for a way to organize my CDs to I can play them in my 5400es.

I've also done cable comparisons on the 5400es. Comparing Harmonic Technology Magic Link 2 to Cardas Golden Reference. I prefer the HT as it has a slightly "bigger" sound/soundstage, and is a bit more open on top. I wouldn't call myself a detail freak, but I do like a fast, transparent sound, but am quickly fatigued by sibilance and etch/glare.

In any regard, I remain amazed at how wonderful the ModWright 5400es sounds (even if I had paid 2-3x the price for it). The fact it was $3,400 with mods makes it one of the best purchases I've made in the last decade in any category (other comparison would be a Volkswagen R32 I bought 7 years ago which bested any car I drove up to 2x the price, which I enjoy as much/more today as when I bought it, and which I will never sell). I'm so pleased with the ModWright 5400es, I have thought I should buy a second as a backup -- keep it stored in a safe place somewhere.

I went into great detail here because I firmly believe in and appreciate the value and performance of what I bought.
Podeschi, welcome to the modright sony 5400ES family. When you put 200 hours on it you will like it even better. I agree with you on the Cardas, as I am using Siltech and like them better. Have you purchased Dan's new Umbilical wire that goes between power supply and unit, if not you may want to. Your review hits the nail right on the head. The player is transparent but not digital or grainy sounding at all. Enjoy
Thanks, Jwm. Yes, I ordered the upgraded umbilical on Dan's advice. I have nothing to compare it to, but trust him when he said it makes a difference. My sense of Dan is he is under-stated. When he says something makes a nice difference, it is the equivalent of other audio companies saying they have revolutionized the industry. Question for 5400es owners -- what is the best power cord to use? I'm amazed at the difference I'm hearing with using the Transparent Audio and the Audience....shows how resolving the 5400es is for me to hear the difference in a power cord swap.
i've had good luck w/ cabling from TG Audio (the new stuff), but i've had great luck w/ grey top 6sn7s and mullard 5ar4s in the unit. and do address vibration w/ a good footer.

unit responds well to tweaks...and for the $, its a friggin bargain. so detailed & musical, so antithetical to digital.
I also had good luck changing the players tubes to the Sophia's. I noticed an improvement over the stock affair. I also upgraded the power supply to a NOS GE (Mullard). This a excellent player with Dan's mods. My only complaint is the player has some noise between cirtuits and tube board due to proximity I believe. This is noticable when the pre amp gain is turned up without the source coming through.
Wywires Juice II is a really nice power cord. It bested Lessloss DFPC on the Sony in my system at half the cost. Also,try an Audioprism rca ground control on the Sony. This addition really opened up the sound of the Sony.
I just got my stock XA5400 about 2 weeks ago and am 'stunned' at what I'm hearing on redbook.
And the player isn't fully burned in yet!!

I'm also curious as to what others are using for an interconnect to their preamps. I'm using a Madrigal XLR CZ Gel 1 between my Levinson 38S and so far it's very smooth and holographic. No harsh edginess or fatiguing qualities.
What other great cables are there to match with the Sony?