Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd

Showing 5 responses by goose

Hello,

Is anyone going down the modification path with the player? I know VSE has one out there and reviewed in Positive Feedback. Also Dan Wright is getting ready for his mod.
A lot of passion around this player. I have the Modwright version. Is it the best player with the mod under $10K, $20K? I don't know. Unless I can listen to players in a direct blind A/B test and switch between the two rapidly, my audio memory isn't that great. I will say that it sounds very good and betters the Sony 999ES Modwright that I had. I find it hard to justify buying anything new that is digital because of technology changes. My Modwright was used (like new) and I have upgraded the tubes, power chords and umbilical. At this point I don't have a desire change and am very satisfied with it's performance.
I also had good luck changing the players tubes to the Sophia's. I noticed an improvement over the stock affair. I also upgraded the power supply to a NOS GE (Mullard). This a excellent player with Dan's mods. My only complaint is the player has some noise between cirtuits and tube board due to proximity I believe. This is noticable when the pre amp gain is turned up without the source coming through.
Dfk0

I am using the HT magic cables with the Modwright version. They sound just fine in this combination.
Podeschi,

Have you removed the existing fuse on the Modwright? If it has a F on the label it is a fast-blow fuse, if it has a T or S on it is a slow-blow. It may also be imprinted on the fuse housing. If it doesn't have a marking, and the fuse filament within is a thin wire it is a fast-blow fuse. If you see a thick wire that may have a small spring on one end it is a slow-blow fuse.