Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd
I bought one and think it is OK. A good deal for the price. I like my ARC CD-2 better, but it died. My main gripe is that when using the sony remote, it turns down the volume and/or mutes my Audio Research premap. Annoying!!!
Clayx
Since you like AR CD2 better , why don't you spend the 1,500 on repairing it?

Jason
All these responses and no word about the headphone output, if it's just an afterthought or is it as good as the player itself? I need a cd player for my Senheisser 800 will low sensitivity. Thanks
Branislav, I don't have a nice set of headphones, so I can't comment. However, if you are seriously considering this player, you can order it from Crutchfield and return it for a full refund if you don't like it. I think you have 60 days to return it.
Clayx, YES this player has a long break in period. I'm at about 200 hours for each section and it is still improving. Others have reported 400-600 hours. How many hours do you have on yours?
Mcroth, I probably have less than 80 hours on each stage. What changes have you noticed???
Fishing716, I assume you've tried the headphone output and wasn't as impressed as with the rest of it, right?
Clayx, the player was all of the over the place the for 0-100 hours. It was bright, forward, not much bass, kind of grainy in the highs, imaging was not solid, didn't seem to be very powerful or have a lot of control. But I still found myself wantng to listen to music (could be the new toy factor). After the 100 hour mark it started to sound so much more relaxed and under control. The ease of presentation was starting to develop, highs were getting a lot smoother and more extended, image and air improved dramatically. Then it started to show me its true power when I noticed I was listening at lower levels and still hearing all the details shine through. I'm really enjoying the PRAT with this player. I find my toes tapping so much more with the 5400 as opposed to my CEC transport(RIP).

Hope this helps.
That's correct,it seems to be there for show not sound.
There is no Program feature on the remote either..
Yes I bought one too, about my 10th disc spinner in my life. It's an incredible value, the equal or better of 5k + SACD/CD players. And I've auditioned the Krell and the Cary. Break in takes forever.

Now if only the matching Sony amplifier was as good on two channel (has anyone tried it ????? It does have a phono input) for $2500, then one could save 15k or so...
Has anyone compared the Marantz SA-11S2 to the Sony? In future I was thinking about replacing my existing Marantz with the SA-11S2, as it would benefit my passive preamp more than the Sony. The Marantz outputs twice the voltage thru XLRs compared to the Sony.
Hello,

Is anyone going down the modification path with the player? I know VSE has one out there and reviewed in Positive Feedback. Also Dan Wright is getting ready for his mod.
I am interested in purchasing the unit. It has a balanced XLR connection, so it will work with my Luxman L505U. Does anyone know if they offer this in a silver color?

Thanks,

Renjy651
this may have been discussed before, but does this player have true balanced outputs, or balanced outputs that just convert to single ended on the inside of the chassis?
Oh please!

Not even Best at $2K!

I own a Sony XA7ES with the Benchmark Dac-1 it is Awesome!

Redbook obviously is what I am talking about.

The new Taiwan made 5400ES as a SACD player is only slightly better IMHO,

now, my Marantz SA11-S2 with the Level 2 Underwood Mods.

will be a candidate for the Best SACD under $10K!

But don't take my word for it, Listen for Yourself!

ALL this Sony hype for their LAST player, is pathetic.

Even if it was, a Super player, and it is NOT, so what?

They are being sold for $995 and less, used, so they

must NOT be that good.

I LOVE MY MUSIC!
I tried it for 3 weeks. Not even close to Simaudio Eclipse and Andromeda. Yes its good at SACD. But even Andromeda CD greatly outperforms 5400 SACD (body and weight).

That being said, 5400 is still a great buy. And it is satisfying. But it seems to do well in midrange. I have not tried the Marantz 11s2. I did try the Marantz 11s1, I liked that pretty well.

Thanks

Bill
Another cd player that's not even close to a player that 10 times as expensive...what a revelation!
03-13-10: Bjpd57a1 writes:
The new Taiwan made 5400ES as a SACD player is only slightly better IMHO
I hope your ears are better than your eyes. Mine says "Made in Malaysia" on the back.

Our views on the performance of this unit clearly differ.

Regards,
Not Japan, where Sony's BEST! Is ALL made!PERIOD!

Malaysia? Taiwan? Macedonia? All I know is Sony

was NOT serious at ALL about this LAST Line,

otherwise, it too would bear the badge from JAPAN!

I just won't pay $1500 for ANYTHING from Malaysia!

That is why it is the LAST of the SONY SACD players.

Like German, and Swiss, products are generally made Superior,to most similar other products.

Open up the 5400ES, and then look inside a Marantz SA11-S2

No Passion in Malaysia, just cheap labor.

My Sony XA7ES inside, is what Passion produces.

That is why it is still regarded as one of the BEST

RedBook Players of ALL time, by many.

Sony had to finish this last line, so they just did it as
cheaply as possible.

Yes, it is a decent sounding player, NO, I won't buy one.

Oh, and my eyes, they are 20-15 so I am Blessed with great
vision, as well as great hearing.

It is funny, for years Sony was considered "The Black Sheep"
in Audio, and now, at the climax of the ES line, there seems
to be more Praise over this player, than ALL the Sony's
combined!

I know the Sony people, are probably laughing so hard, they
are hurting themselves!

Made in Malaysia! Yeah, I am ALL over that! NOT!

I LOVE MY MUSIC!
Bjpd57, why do you find it necessary to abuse capitol letters? We LOVE our music TOO , but we don't SHOUT about it. Lighten UP! Also , I would be suspect of your ability to critically evaluate a source product given your rather unorthodox setup, i.e. 18 speakers, several subwoofers, at least 4 amps, all arranged in some sort of surround configuration? How can you evaluate soundstageing, imaging etc. with that type of deployment? Just wondering... and by the way, I LOVE MY MUSIC TOO.... Peace
Who said I "abuse Capital" letters? You?

No shouting here, just excitement.

Typical attitude, be "afraid" of that which is "different"

Because my set-up, is similar to that of a "Live Performance"

I simply have sound delivered, to each angle in the listening

room, just like at the "Movies" and the sound comes from

"All around", I simply brought "Home", this same technology.

How does that, limit my "abilities" to "evaluate"?

Because I can think outside of the box?

You have No idea, what I have done, until you come over,

and have a listen.

Bottom Line: My System is set-up for "My" enjoyment.

I care Not what You, or anyone else thinks, about what

they have NOT even heard!

I try to avoid "Judging", that is Not for me to decide.

It would be boring, if we ALL had the very same set-up,

with the same "Results!"

Only when we "try" new things, do we open up a whole

new world, of listening pleasure.

The fact that 2 speakers, fails to satisfy my listening

needs, points to the fact that, I am used to hearing music,

"as it was played", and so I obviously enjoy hearing it,

the very same way.

Sound-Stage, Imaging, believe me, I have spent over 30 years

trying to effectively bring the same "Studio" Quality,

sound home.

IMHO, with Great Success, I must say.

Why so petty over something like the use of capital letters?

This is about the Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player, and how I

feel it is Not a player to be considered "Best under $10k?"

IMHO, that is.

Winoguy, You know what?

I LOVE MY MUSIC!
Bjpd57a1

I believe that you have very sensitive ears since your eyes can't even tell Malaysia from Taiwan.
Cerebellum - Function:

Again for the mentally challenged...(that's me!)

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.

“The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: Be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge.”

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about universe. ~Albert Einstein

Again so Sorry, I meant Malaysia, and Taiwan came out,now 100% Disabled since being t-boned,in a major car accident, I sustained some brain damage,that affects my short term memory, and other stuff.

I do the Best I can.

How is it, the main Point, managed to go right "over"
your head?

Is Malaysia known for it's advancement in technology? NO!

Neither is Taiwan, so it really makes NO difference,

since both countries, are used only for there very "cheap" labor.

Like I said, I do NOT own the 5400ES, get over it.

Next time, try making a point worthy of discussion.

I LOVE MY MUSIC!
I forgot,

Metralla...Just curious, how does your Sony SCD-XA777ES modded player compare to the 5400ES?

I know the build quality, is far better on the older 777ES.

At $925 the 5400ES, is priced where many XA-7ES players
are still going for.

The older Sony models like the SCD-1 still can be had for
$1700 is the lowest I have seen.But often still at $2k or more, for the really clean units.

If the 5400ES is so good, I would expect the price to
reflect that fact, it obviously does not, at $925.

So how can it be seriously considered comparable to a $10K

SACD player?

That is just one thought I had.

I LOVE MY MUSIC!
You see, my players, I got before Sony 5400 came out. To get good sound you had to pay maybe $5200 (Sim Eclipse) or $3500 Linn Ikemi (back in 2002) I believe. If a CD player that is reasonably priced ($1500) "hooks" you with a great midrange, then you like it. I have not compared it with Cambridge 840 which I heard is great at $1700. I already have expensive players (Sim Eclipse and Sim Andromeda) so its too late for me to buy more.

If I were in market today to replace my previously good player up to 2002, Linn Karik Numerik, then the 5400 could have made sense.

Its also amazing how a power conditioner (RSA Dimitri) changes everything about sound (in my system) with my current players (have not heard it with 5400)

Bill
Bjpd57al

i am a malaysian

what makes u think cheap labor equal to cheap/low quality product? how do you define "cheap" if you remove the exchange rate out of the equation?

wps
The Wal-Mart, and K-Mart,level of "quality",

of the electronics, from Malaysia?

The "cheap" computers sold on TV, from Malaysia?

If a person said your life "depends" on your ability,

to stay "on time"; You are offered a watch from Malaysia,
or a Swiss watch, which do you pick?

Swiss watches are known to be the most accurate in the world.

But All the press, this Sony 5400ES has prompted, perhaps

Malaysia is showing they can do better.

Only time will tell.

Sorry, my intention is not to bash Malaysia.

The point was Sony made their "Best" Products in Japan.

Look at The Vintage Knob, at All the Best in Audio from

ALL, from Japan.

Accuphase for one. One of the finest built pieces in Audio.

“Yes, we are all different. Different customs, different foods, different mannerisms, different languages, but not so different that we cannot get along with one another. If we will disagree without being disagreeable.”

Peace To You!

I LOVE MY MUSIC!
Mechanical Swiss watches are not the most accurate in the world. They are not even close in terms of accuracy to a much cheaper quartz movement.

The same holds true in this environment.

Mark
I am not a "watch" expert either, but...
"When it comes to watches, thereýs one name that stands out, Swiss watch. They produce the highest quality timepieces, establishing more brands with top-of-the-line models being endorsed by world-class celebrity icons like Brad Pitt and Tiger Woods. Some of the very popular brands are TAG Heuer, Rolex, Omega, and Oris. They are manufactured by different companies. However, they maintain the high quality standards that the Swiss watch has been taking care over the decades."

In 2008, the Swiss watch show has spotted the latest trends in watches.

Swiss quality - "Swiss made"

As with other products like chocolate, Switzerland jealously protects its beautifully made and aesthetically appealing watches and clocks with the “Swiss made” label. “Swiss made” is more than a simple label of origin. It is a sign to customers that they are buying a product of outstanding quality and reliability.

With the help of legislation, international treaties and multilateral agreements drawn up by the World Intellectual Property Organisation and the World Trade Organisation, Switzerland has the necessary legal instruments to protect “Swiss made” watches and clocks from piracy and counterfeiting.
“Swiss made”

To obtain the “Swiss made” label a watch must meet certain minimum conditions. Although some foreign-made components may be used, they may not account for more than 50% of the total value of the components and the watches must also be both assembled and inspected in Switzerland.

Some regions in Switzerland, like the banking and watchmaking capital of Geneva, have their own label of origin. However, the “Geneva” hallmark does not enjoy the same level of protection as the “Swiss made” label. A watch may carry the Geneva hallmark if it meets the same requirements as those for a Swiss-made watch and if at least one of the major operations in its manufacture was carried out in the canton of Geneva.

More prestigious than this is the award of the quality hallmark known as the "poinçon de Genève" or Geneva Seal, issued by the Office for the Voluntary Inspection of Watches from Geneva. They must have been made in the canton, and each movement must be numbered. There are 12 strict criteria to be met ensuring the highest standards in engineering, finishing and assembly.
Is there such a thing as a foreign-made Swiss watch?

A watch that has been manufactured abroad but contains Swiss components may carry a mark to this effect. However, any exaggeration of the degree of Swiss involvement is strictly prohibited. The Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry sees to it that watches which are put on sale do not flout this rule.
Campaign: Fake Watches are for Fake People (in new window)

Campaign: Fake Watches are for Fake People
Fake watches are for fake people

According to estimates by the Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie (fine watchmaking foundation), 40 million fake Swiss watches are manufactured and sold ever year. Counterfeited goods like these damage not only the Swiss watch market but also the good reputation of the Swiss watch industry as a whole. The FH and the Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry are locked in a ruthless ongoing battle against the counterfeiters. In addition to legal action, they launched the anti-counterfeiting “Fake Watches are for Fake People” campaign in 2009.
Fairs

At the start of every year Switzerland holds two major international exhibitions where it can showcase its watchmaking expertise:

"BASELWORLD" is the most important international watch and jewellery fair. Over 100,000 visitors from the industry travel from every continent to Basle to view the latest creations. The fair has more than 2,000 exhibitors, including all of Switzerland’s major watchmakers.

Geneva hosts a more exclusive affair, the Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie (SIHH), or International Salon for Prestige Watchmaking, to which only professional guests of the exhibiting brands are invited. The show is regarded as one of the major events in the Geneva calendar, second only to the Motor Show. Visitors can discover the latest innovations in the world of fine watchmaking. Many of the timepieces on show are one-offs or limited editions.

Accurate Watches were first launched in 1989 in Bienne, Switzerland. The mantra of the company was to produce high quality Swiss made watches that would be affordable for retail customers. Accurate wanted to change the stigma that Swiss-made watches were expensive.

Accurate s decision signified a change in the history of watch manufacturing in Switzerland. For the first time, superb craftsmanship was affordable for more people than ever. Since the first Accurate watch collection was introduced, the commitment to high quality and affordability has earned the company global recognition. In just a decade of production Accurate has sold over 2.5 million timepieces.

The latest collection, The Opera, includes Accurate Watches first ever watch made of natural jade, zirconium and stainless steel. Available in a bracelet or casebook, Accurate has merged technology with natural jade carving skill. The natural jade is believed to radiate bio-energies including infrared and antibacterial rays and negative ions.

The quartz crystal and battery combination of the quartz watch is basic, but there is some variation in the watchmaking industry. Swiss quartz movement combines the movement with the chassis and jewels of a mechanical watch to form the most accurate and most durable quartz watches. A few quartz watches have solar-powered rechargeable batteries. Some quartz movements feature a kinetic system, similar to those in automatic watches, in which a rotor produces the electrical current that powers the watch.

The greatest advantage of the quartz watch, other than its relative affordability, is the fact that the movement needs no winding to keep it working. Quartz movement watches also require fewer time adjustments and less maintenance than mechanical watches. The gears of a quartz watch rarely, if ever, need lubricating.
Watch movement origins
Swiss watch

Most watch movements are designed and manufactured in Switzerland or Japan. Traditionally, Swiss watchmakers set the standard for quality, especially for mechanical movements; however, since the 1980s, Japanese-made movements have caught up to the Swiss in quality. Chinese-made movements also have increased in quality in recent years. Watch manufacturers label the origin of the movement with a stamp on the watch case and, sometimes, on the dial. Here is a brief explanation of the terminology:

* Swiss movement: Watch movements have many parts to be assembled into one workable unit. "Swiss movement" means that over 50 percent of the completed movement was assembled in a Swiss factory from Swiss-manufactured parts. This is true of mechanical, automatic and quartz movements. The case stamps that identify the Swiss movement use various terms including Swiss quartz, Swiss automatic or Swiss auto, and, simply, Swiss.

This definition also applies to movements originating in countries other than Switzerland. For example, a watch with Japanese movement usually will have a stamp of "Japanese."

* Swiss-made: A Swiss-made movement must have Swiss parts, be assembled in Switzerland, and then be placed in the case in a Swiss factory. The case itself does not need to be manufactured in Switzerland, although most high-end watches feature Swiss-made cases.
Always a force for technical innovation in traditional luxury watchmaking, Swiss manufacture Jaeger-LeCoultre proves a point at the Salon International de la Haute Horlogerie in Geneva with the automatic Master Compressor Extreme LAB 2.

Like its predecessor the Extreme LAB three years ago, this watch pushes horological boundaries in service to extreme environments and tribute to the Le Sentier-based manufacture’s 1958 Chronomètre Geophysic.

Take a moment to study the dial-side picture and take in the universe of timekeeping on display, all in the limited space afforded by a 46.8mm diameter wristwatch dial (specifications on the actual display area are not available).

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Extreme LAB 2 2

Briefly, the functions are as follows, according to the press release: hours, minutes, small seconds, date, second-time zone hand and counter, chronograph with large minute counter, manual stop second, functions selector (three-position indicator: winding, date and dual time zone adjustment, time-setting), amagnetic silicon escapement. The silicon escapement applies to Calibre 781 only. This model also features Calibre 780, which is identical in almost every other way.

What’s displayed are the hours, minutes, small seconds (as movement functioning indicator), sweep chronograph hand, date, function selector (this is a one-crown operation proposition), digital chronograph minutes, chronograph hours, second time zone (24-hour scale) and power reserve (60 hours).

Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Extreme LAB 2 3

I think you may want to re-consider, your choice...
I have a cheap Casio from the 80's that keeps as good or better time than most any mechanical watch ever made- I found it in the drawer after three years and it was not off time by more than ten seconds.

Your cut and paste does not convince me. As for aesthetics I will grant you a finely made watch is exquisite and I prefer it- but please don't argue function in this matter.
Sony SCD-XA5400 Best SACD under $10k?

Or, pick at petty non relevant issues?

Can we just stay on the "point"?

Music is All about Joy!

I am sorry I Ever said Anything at All!

Someone Always gets "bent".

I try to share "knowledge" and I hit a "brick Wall!"

This is my Last entry, in to Any forum,life is too short,

to argue, "mine is bigger!"

"Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else's hands, but not you."
Jim Rohn

"In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love."
Mother Teresa

Can't we just agree, to disagree?
We All love music, so we All have that in common.

Can't we All just get along?

I LOVE MY MUSIC!
Bjpd57al there are people here who would argue with a FOOTBALL BAT. I really feel sorry for them because their lives are that terrible and negative and they have to pick fights here and hijack a thread. I am tickled you like the 5400 and there are plenty of others that do so screw the ones that don't.
Football Bat? Definitely grounds for ejection!
I'm sure a baseball bat will suffice.
By the way, have a 5400 and find it to be the best ES yet.
Bjpd5ya1, you are doing an effective job of ruining what might have otherwise been a good thread. Your posts are barely coherent rants whose main contention as far as I can gather is that a Sony CD player assembled in Malaysia selling for $1500 cannot possibly compete in terms of sound quality with more expensive players assembled in Japan (or Switzerland.)

This contention is ludicrous. Did it ever occur to you that one of the main reasons the XA5400 is inexpensive is that it was assembled in Malaysia, where labor is cheap, and not in Japan, where labor is very expensive? Although globalization has its downsides, one of the main advantages is to lower prices by producing goods in the parts of the world with the lowest unit labor costs. Unlike some audio brands that fatten up their profit margins through this outsourcing, Sony doesn't have as much cache as a brand and therefore faces a more elastic demand curve than other "niche" audio companies with valuable brand names. When demand curves are elastic, revenues are maximized by setting a low price (moving the supply curve to the right.) This is a basic concept in economics and probably the one that Sony is following with the XA5400.

In any case, it would have been nice to hear the impressions of more audiophiles who have heard both the XA5400 and other players at higher price points. How, for example, does the 5400 compare to the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC/Transport, the Ayon CD-2, the Meridian G08, the latest Ayre, etc.? That is information that would be helpful for those of us trying to decide on the appropriate budget for a digital source. If it makes no sense to spend $6,000 on the Perfect Wave combo when the XA5400 sounds equally good, I would like to know that.
The Sony SCD-XA5400ES IMO sounds better than the $6000 Ayre or $8000 ARC tube CD player!
Well said Mcondon. I like how he asks why we cant " stay on point " after he cuts and pastes 5 pages about Swiss watches! He also said he does not judge, than slams the entire country of Malaysia! Oh well, at least he LOVES HIS MUSIC!
My Tag Heuer tells me we've spent far too much time talking about watches.
I just bought a 5400 ES to replace my beloved XA7ES and although the build quality really pales in comparison with the XA7 (like comparing a can of Altoids to an iPhone), the 5400 sounds as good or better, in many respects, than the player it is replacing. I'm only on second day of break-in, but I'm thinking it's a keeper.
Hello.

I have Sony Xa9000ES for 5 years, and until now I was very happy..the only strange thing that I discover was that the sound from the analog outputs are worse than from the digital outputs.. I also open it, and took off the i-link cable, and still the sound from the digital outputs are still more real..much much better.

Anyone have XA5400ES and XA9000ES and can compare them, using the digital outputs on the XA9000ES?

I am buying XA5400ES anyway..but just to be sure.

Thanks,

Joao
Update after 100hrs of continuous play...HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT.
Yeah, bass is great, midrange is neutral, instrument timbres seem very accurate, BUT... soundstage is narrow and shallow. Barely two-dimensional. Presentation is so forward that when listening to jazz I feel like I'm the drummer, and orchestral cymbal clashes fly out of the speakers like ninja throwing stars. Lacks weight when compared to my XA7ES, and dynamics seem to choke in the high frequencies. I'll be shocked if this player can transform enough to make me want to keep it. I stand by what I said earlier about improving on my old player in several key areas but when viewed as a whole, performance is lacking.
Already sold my XA7ES. I feel like an idiot tonight. Big MISTAKE.
Well, since I've already admitted to being an idiot, here's another update. My previous cd player had a captive power cable so I didn't have an extra cable lying around the house. I was forced to fire up the 5400 with the 3 cent power cable they packed in the box. I caught up with a friend last night who had an extra cable I could borrow and it remedied 90% of what I described in my previous post. Soundstage is still a little shallow but wider now, and dynamics issues have been fixed. Presentation is still a little forward but I'm not ducking throwing stars anymore and the soloists aren't sitting in my lap.
I am hopeful again and will give it another week before I freak out. Sony should be ashamed of themselves throwing that cable in the box. I know that no self-respecting audiophile intends to use that cable permanently but it ought to AT LEAST be usable! Maybe they could refrain from including the ridiculous patch cable and spend the extra penny on the power cord?
Sequence56 - Can you calm my anxieties with regards to the soundstage/presentation issues? What can I expect in another week or two?