Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd
so has anyone put an upgraded fuse in the PS of the MW 5400?

i will say putting the transport on a separate dedicated line was a big winner for me...(i have 4 dedicated lines). unit loves to be isolated.
Yep; the 5400ES is 2 T800 and the power supply is a 1.5/6 mal slow blow as well.
Rhyno, I just put one of the new Audio Magic Liquid Air Fuses in my PS for the MW 5400 about 2 weeks ago. It did not make a huge difference over the stock fuse in my estimation. It seemed to impart a bit of an improvement in dynamics, but did not make a huge difference. I got more bang out of replacing the stock fuses in my Cary 500 MB amps and in my Magnepan 3.7's than I did on the power supply for the ModWright. I have yet to replace the stock fuses in the player, but I do plan on doing that at some point.
Dan at Modwright had his exceptional tech look into an actual unit today. Inside the 5400 transport there are two T800mal fuses. So those are in fact slow blow. Also, the power supply to the modwright 5400 unit has a mismarking on the back. It is not a 1amp fuse, per Dan the Sony 5400 Modwright power supply takes a 3 amp slow blow fuse, which is what I placed in there. This is why I love buying American hi-fi brands. The actual owners are responsive and hands on.
Just heard from Modwright. Newer units do take the 1.5 amp fuse in the power supply so you are good, Wig. Sorry for any confusion.
Current audiogon ad by modwright stating it is their best digital offering. For price of a good interconnect they do a mod that is out of this workd good!

ModWright Sony XA-5400ES Truth Mods
Our best digital offering, period! Also the best and last CD/SACD player that Sony will produce! THIS AD IS FOR A MODIFICATION ONLY. CUSTOMER MUST SUPPLY SONY XA-5400ES PLAYER. 120V OR 220V PLAYERS MAY BOTH BE MODIFIED. Price: $1995 (modification only). Customer Feedback: "Big, open, spacious soundstage. Exceptional layering front to back with palpable images(I mean...
Hes back and currently selling on this site as rick_owens

http://app.audiogon.com/listings?seller_id=337258&show_media=true
Old thread but I listened to my Modwright 5400 this weekend. Compared to my Spiral Groove + Goldfinger Statement / AMG v12 + Benz LP-S into ARC Ref 2se....the Modwright held its own. Not as much detail as the Chord Hugo or the Goldfinger Statement, but very musical -- a twin sound sibling to the AMG v12 table with Benz LP-S cartridge. A hint of warmth, and very organic natural harmonics. The Modwright is still my favorite disc spinner.
Talk2me,

How would you describe the differences between the two?

Thanks,
Wig
Anyone who has a xa5400es put in a cd press play then pause straight away ...try this with a few cds... listen to how loud the vibration is of the disc spinning..post your results please
Not an issue with the units I’ve owned, but I did find a replacement spinner that has made me very happy since!  I purchased a Yamaha CD-S2100 and have found it to be exceptional and reliable.  It does have a quite robust transport mechanism which is definitely light years beyond the Sony.  For $2999 it is a heavyweight player with accurate tonality and clean extension with terrific soundstaging.  FWIW
I have two Sony XA5400ES players sitting in boxes, because I found the sound with the Ayre C-5xeMP to be superior.  But I've never heard a pre minimum-phase (MP) Ayre.  Always planned to sell the Sonys, but never got around to it.  It's on my to-do list.  I rarely spin discs anymore since Roon.

db
dbphd

thanks! for sharing. PM sent.  Hope you are well and enjoying good music today.  Happy Listening!