Sony SCD-XA5400ES-Best SACD for under $10,000

This Sony player supplanted my Ayre C5-XE 3, which I still have, months ago. I paid $6000 for the Ayre after determining that it was the best-sounding unit for under $10,000. The Sony blows it away!!!
A unit costing $1500 besting all others under $10,000? That is exactly what it does!
For reference, I am using Audio Research electronics and Vandersteen speakers and subwoofers (about $30,000); a similar system has repeatedly been lauded as "best of show" at CES, so we are NOT talking second-rate stuff here.
This Sony is the only SACD/Cd player I have EVER heard that puts a classical piano live in my living room; nothing I ever had before even comes close.
This unit is a small miracle. I would have gladly paid $8000 for it, but if they want to give the thing away for $1500, who am I to argue?
This unit is going to send the engineers at Audio Research, Luxman, Esoteric, and Ayre back to the drawing board; their current units at 4 to 5 times the price are not even close. Some engineer at Sony is a freaking genius!!!
wa6itd

Showing 4 responses by billeames

I found Simaudio Andromada to beat it in both formats. (but its over 10k). Mostly in top to bottom balance, dynamic contrast, nuance, etc. I may try the Audio Research CD8. Thanks.

Bill
I tried it for 3 weeks. Not even close to Simaudio Eclipse and Andromeda. Yes its good at SACD. But even Andromeda CD greatly outperforms 5400 SACD (body and weight).

That being said, 5400 is still a great buy. And it is satisfying. But it seems to do well in midrange. I have not tried the Marantz 11s2. I did try the Marantz 11s1, I liked that pretty well.

Thanks

Bill
You see, my players, I got before Sony 5400 came out. To get good sound you had to pay maybe $5200 (Sim Eclipse) or $3500 Linn Ikemi (back in 2002) I believe. If a CD player that is reasonably priced ($1500) "hooks" you with a great midrange, then you like it. I have not compared it with Cambridge 840 which I heard is great at $1700. I already have expensive players (Sim Eclipse and Sim Andromeda) so its too late for me to buy more.

If I were in market today to replace my previously good player up to 2002, Linn Karik Numerik, then the 5400 could have made sense.

Its also amazing how a power conditioner (RSA Dimitri) changes everything about sound (in my system) with my current players (have not heard it with 5400)

Bill
My older Simaudio Eclipse (2002 model) sounded more larger and dynamic. 5400 has great midrange, compared to Sim, its thin sounding. For the price 5400 good, but more expensive players better.
Even CD on Sim sounded better to me than SACD on 5400. Just my opinion. This is a subjective opinion. Others may feel differently.

Bill