Why are all the Virtual Systems mega-assaults now?

I've noticed that more recently nearly all of the activity on the virtual systems is with really decked-out systems in lavish rooms with $50K speakers and electronics, cables, and single malt Scotch to match.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's nice to see how the upper crust live. But I've always viewed a strength of the virtual systems as showing how people have put together budget items with great synergy. What ever happened to the guys with the Adcom amp and PSB speakers posting about the continuing evolution of their systems? (Maybe they've updated to a spiffy room, speakers that require a forklift to position, MBL electronics, and cables that each cost more than my car.)

I guess Albert Porter's system gets a lot more traffic because people like discussing systems like that, but I really do miss seeing new "bang for the buck" units pop up on the virtual systems and admiring their ingenuity for putting it together.

Am I the only one who's a little disappointed with this?

Michael
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsufentanil
Newbee, here is a photo of my blushing bride and here is a look at Angelina Jolie. Sure, maybe she had better lighting and/or a better photographer, but overall, I think it's a toss up.....no?

Cheers,
John
Oh man, John, you are one lucky guy to snag yourself such a gorgeous wife. I think I speak for most of us here that we're all envious of you. :)

Michael
Michael, what can I say??? I am STUNNED. If ever you mistreat that gorgeous female, there will be plenty of swinging d**ks just waiting to snatch her away from your clinging arms.

Any red blooded guy here at Audiogon would be glad to be in your shoes, I only hope your system is half as good as the look on her face implies.
Wow, whodaguessed you harbored such excellent tastes! Sorta reminds me of my exwife, at least that's how I remember her now. :-)
We, mostly men, look at things we can't have all the time. It's in our nature - do I need to explain!? I for one really enjoy looking at the all-out-assault systems. We all have the same compulsive obsessions with the equipment. I’ll bet I’m not the only middle-class guy here on Agon who, upon sticking it rich, would place building a “mega” system high on the proverbial first list of “things do with all this new found wealth.” I would love to sit down and listen to one of these systems. It’s amazing just how good a modest high-end or “approaching” high-end system can sound – but even with the all-too-real diminishing returns of dollars invested vs improved sound, you just know that these killer systems have to sound like heaven on earth to an audiophile. By the way, the only reason I just recently posted my system was due to a thread I read about “audiophile pet peeves,” in which not listing ones’ system was mentioned.