How do you move a 650lbs Rack on Hardwood...

without denting the floor - not scratching - but without denting it?

We use a Middle Atlantic rack with steel castors - thought about going to the roller casters MA sells, but it would increase the height too much.

Thoughts?

Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xporschecab
RCPrince -
Thanks for the thought. The door opening to the media closet is about 84". The rack with the steel ball castors is about 83", leaving me just an inch clearance. There is a small threshold between the main floor and the media closet. Media closet has fake hardwood (which is great for rolling on) but the actual floor (should the rack need any changes/modifications would need to be rolled out to) is actual wood. So I am trying to figure out if there is something VERY thin and yet strong enough to roll the rack ONTO and be able to move it around without denting wood.

Now, if I get rid of the MA base and have one made, that would work, but also would require me to get the rack out of the media closet, which still leave me stuck with what to do in removing it.

Thanks!
HOw about a 1/2" sheet of corian or other hard synthetic, or even a sheet of 1/2" plywood?
swampwalker - the corian might be the ticket. I would be concerned with plywood and the steel castors either getting stuck or being tough to roll. The Corian would not have such a problem - question is, can 1/2 Corian be difficult to locate? I will give that a try if no other options are available.

Thanks!!

Dan
If I understand you correctly, you'll use the sheet material to protect the floor while positioning the rack, then you'll remove the protective sheet. If that's the case, how about 1/8" Masonite? It's dense as can be, you shouldn't have any problems rolling over that.
pro flooring installers use a pneumatic lift for moving heavy furniture, its essentially an air bladder that is filled using a compressor and the load slides across the floor on a cushion of air with nary a scuff. I bet you could rent one for an afternoon.