Where are the female Audiophiles?

Based on my limited experience, I would guess that 98% of Audiophiles are male. But 51% of our population is female. What gives?

In this age where females and males are equally represented in Universities and in the Professions, why is this still true?

I would guess that it is a cultural thing, can't be genetic can it?
Is it different in other parts of the World?
hdomke
Hdomke...I don't think anybody is speaking in absolutes. Albert was speaking in general terms and there are many exceptions to the "rule". Thus the phrase "women are less likely to..." However, it is scientific fact that men and women have different brain chemistry and construction, along with general differences in physiology.

I've only known two female audiophiles in 30 years, and, as in Ferrari's experience, both were real musicians. I've also noticed in 38 years of buying jazz albums that there are almost never any women in the jazz section. (Of course, I haven't been to a record stores in months and only go a couple times a year now.) My sister-in-law pretended for a few years to be "really into jazz" but had never heard of Miles, Coltrane, Parker, Monk, Blakey, Mingus, Rollins, etc.
I am not talking about vocalist now, but instrumentalist women in jazz, and with the exception of Mary Lou Williams, Marian McPhartland and newcomer Mindi Abair, there remains very few women in jazz, that can relate to other women. Perhaps this is part of the problem why women do not shop for jazz such as men do. There just isn't many role models for them to choose from. I would dare say ask any woman shopping today online or in a record store do they know Marian McPhartland or Mary Lou Williams, I think you will get a blank stare.
I listen to Marian McPartland every Monday night on NPR. I really love her show. She is old, but she still has that magic in her unique playing. I also like the variety of guests she has on with her.
Only 2 things this hobby can do in the end...

#1 Become a Dangerous Obsession

#2 Become a VERY Dangerous PASSION!!

One of the only hobbies you can make so many mistakes, and lose so much money, and have so much fun doing it, but still be irritated and go back for more! Maybe this is much more like a gambling problem than we think?

By the way I think part of the Female thing is, just no way they could have this much patience without the results, so they stay away...And we keep banging our head against the wall trying the next best thing, or until we figure out how to re-invent the wheel.
Pzuckerman, the notion that only male birds sing is incorrect, The comparison to humans is very thin, as humans do not speak almost exclusively for mating purposes. (Not trying to be argumentative, just factual)However, your analysis of women is quite astute.

Regarding the topic at hand:

Women tend to be social and look for social activities. Listening silently to gear is not terribly social. Women tend to enjoy relationships, not objects. Many women do not care to converse on or develop expertise on technical machinery. Many women hold down two jobs, if they work outside the home and most are still the primary caregivers, so audio is not a high priorety. etc.

Steve Chamber's wife is perfectly representative, in that she calls our stuff "Lego" and indicates that the setting is more important than the gear. Women tend to cherish events in life (note social context), not sterile performance of components.

To that end, an audiophile would likely do better at involving the wife in the hobby if he takes her to a concert occasionally and puts on the artist's music afterward. Then, MAYBE she'll take SLIGHT notice of the equipment/presentation.

BTW, some men probably feel lied to or betrayed by women who at first, prior to marriage, sit and listen along with them, then after marriage do not. It's not that the women were being deceitful; they just wanted to spend time with their man. But, men don't realize that, and they think the woman is really into the audio, etc. Wrong. She just wanted to be with him.

Men do the same thing by "romancing" a woman as a means to win her, then stopping after he's won her. Men look at it like a job to do, and once done, no more need to work at it, right? wrong.

Go, buy her some flowers, buy some tickets to a concert, etc. There's your free mariage counseling advice. After all, your marriage IS more important than your rig, right?

Why do more women use iPods than stereos? Because they're cute. Seriously, Apple knows what it's doing; many women like "cute" electronics - small, not as intimidating, etc.
Many of them will pick phones like a pair of sunglasses, how they look.

Interesting observation that Crystal Cable has a woman heading up the company and she knows what she's doing in regards to advertising. (This is not a slam at all, as I haven't worked with Crystal Cables - just an observation) Look at the ads; completely aesthetically driven. Mostly pictures and "feel", not technical blurbs. It's working on the aesthetic, not the intellectual. It's tapping into the fact that many people today, men and women, operate not on congition but with emotion.

For most women, sitting in an isolated environment with complex machinery is not terribly compelling as an activity.