Where are the female Audiophiles?

Based on my limited experience, I would guess that 98% of Audiophiles are male. But 51% of our population is female. What gives?

In this age where females and males are equally represented in Universities and in the Professions, why is this still true?

I would guess that it is a cultural thing, can't be genetic can it?
Is it different in other parts of the World?
hdomke
Men collect fancy machines and that's including audio equipments....

Women collect shoes and your $$$ :) !!!!!
Often it's the setting that women dislike. There is nothing feminine about audio gear, showrooms (including Audiogon) or salespeople. Furthermore, women are tactile. If they can't touch something, it's less than friendly.

The women I know make lots money. They like to spend lots of money. And they like toys as much as men do. Car companies figured this out years ago and therefore changed the amenities and textures of their products; they changed their marketing; they changed the layout and decor of their showrooms, and they changed their sales approach to women as active buyers.
I think that women DO hear better and that is part of the difference. They immediately hear how sad our systems are, no matter how much we've spent on silly cables, monstrous speakers and glowing tubes. They hear the intermodulation distortion going on when our speakers fight each other. They're amazed that we put up with such grossly flawed systems and quite kindly just stay out of the whole thing.

Oh, the other thing is they don't want to screw up the decor. They would be horribly mortified to have the coffee group over and admit that they spoiled the decor themselves. The men have made them believe that you can't have good looks AND good sound, so they don't want to even begin a search.

Dave
Harry Bealfonte knows when he sings:

"Believe me when I say, woman is smarter in every way"
Sweetmamma31, thanks for your response. Although I appreciated the new (to me) facts in Albert Porter's post, yours is the only one I can find so far which actually responded directly to the question in the OP's title.

Women are smarter, women don't think like men, women would rather talk on the phone, they have better ears and would rather shop for shoes... these and other generalizations, no matter how gallant, are doing just what you say: not taking women audiophiles seriously. I have tossed them around myself.

I don't know what I would do if I wanted to set up an audio dealership the way Calbrs03 describes a female-oriented car dealer. Except for maybe one obvious thing: I wouldn't spend a lot of energy creating an audio forum. Apparently, women don't have a great desire to schmooze about the gear.

I could be wrong, though. There's no way to know, because as it is, audio forums are online men's clubs. Maybe women realize the therapeutic function of this kind of thing for the masculine identity, and stay away out of kindness?