Why does New York radio station sond so good?

I've been on business travel to New jersey for several weeks, and have been impressed at how good classical station 96.3 out of New York City sounds, even on factory stock car radios (various mid-line Nissans, Toyotas, and Subarus). Has anyone else noticed this, and does anyone know why? Have they just selected the very best recordings? Are they playing through a Walker Audio turntable and a stack of EMM / Nagra gear? Or do they just have a bigger klystron than everyone else?
honest1
Klystron tubes are used primarily in television broadcasting, microwave transmission and radar. The modulation level from a Klystron would be too high for radio broadcasting.

I'd guess the station in question has a good, clean processing chain coupled with a modern stereo generator which minimizes multipath - particularly important in an urban environment. So much radio and TV broadcasting was done from the WTC that when stations rebuilt their transmission facilities, they were able to upgrade their technology to modern levels. Remember, there are many (many) transmitters that are still running smoothly after 40+ years of service, but their technology is somewhat antiquated.
While I do enjoy 96.3, I think that 93.9 (NPR station, music starts after 7 PM - Check out "New Sounds" program after 11 for tremandous variety of great music) sounds even better. More "Row F" than the "Row N" sound of 96.3, to me. Can't begin to guess why but check it out if you can.

And 88.3 is great for jazz but personally I cannot listen if certain (male) DJs are on.

There is so much wonderful music on this handful of NYC area stations.