Linn -- one generation ago

I've been thinking about setting up another system, and I'm considering trying a complete Linn set-up. While the new Majik stuff interests me, financial (and other) realities would sadly preclude that at present. Can anyone recommend a Linn system -- CDP, preamp, amplifier(s), and speakers -- from a generation earlier that might give a boy a pretty good taste of good, but not top-of-the-line, Linn sound. Should I start with a Genki or Ikemi? And a Kairn or some other pre? Or none of those? And I'm completely flummoxed by Linn speaker choices. I'd be looking for all of this stuff used on Audiogon, hoping to have some fun setting up a completely different system without completely breaking the bank. (I heard a Linn system a while ago that got me thinking about this, in case anyone is wondering about the genesis of this.) Currently running Krell pre and McCormack mono amps and B&
W loudspeakers with Rega sources and Cardas wires. I like what I've got and don't intend to get rid of it, but I'm thinking I could also enjoy a system that might tend to be somewhat more musical -- for lack of a better term. Thanks for any help with this. -- Howard
hodu
Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. I think I'm going to have some fun with this. -- Howard
I'm aware that my suggestion above is far from a 'pure' Linn system. However I hope it takes advantage of what I see as Linn's two great strengths, as well as keeping to the Linn source-first approach. The two great strengths I mean are their standout source units (sorry, not their lower range) and the way they make it easy to do active bi- and tri-amping.

I'm told that Linn have recently abandoned their support for active configurations. This is too bad IMHO. It makes a system project like the one I describe into a collector's effort, gving it added vintage appeal but also the challenge of maintaining the gear.
Ikemi source
5103 processor/pre (used as a 2-channel pre)
Klout amp
5140 speakers (but upgrade the tweeters to Espek tweeters - TRUST ME ON THIS!!)

Have fun!
I used to own a huge setup, but then had to downsize when I moved to Africa a few years ago. Now I'm back, but I don't want to get rid of my Linn Classik, even to go back to tubes (which I loved). Anyway, I used them with an older pair of Sequerra MET 7.7 mk II monitors. You would not believe what this system can do for being a three piece system. It beats anything I've had before including a vintage Mcintosh 225 tube or my Perreaux 200 per watt amp, certainly my Counterpoint 220SA or my old Mondial stuff. Dick Sequerra still makes the MET 7.7 Mk V for $850 a pair. I hear these are even better than the pair that I own. I cannot recommend this speaker highly enough for use with Linn (cept if you really wnat a full range speaker instead of a monitor/sub combo). Also to fill bass use an ACI force XL sub.