What receptacle for 240V 20A in the States?

Just trying to get a bit more juice to my amp. It can be converted to run 120V or 240V (also with a quick change of the fuses).

However, I'm having some trouble finding a good receptacle. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xaudioarchon
Jea48 - Yes, as you mentioned, I will connect to a 2 pole breaker (2x 120V). The wire is #10 awg and will use with a 20 amp circuit...(or maybe 30A??) This makes sense to me.

I guess I'm worried that there is no neutral wire going to the amp, should I be?

Thanks!
Mike
NGjockey - Ha ha! Yes, I work with several EE's and technicians...I will invite one over to help, and to check it. Thanks for your concern!

03-03-07: Angus80808
Yes, as you mentioned, I will connect to a 2 pole breaker (2x 120V). The wire is #10 awg and will use with a 20 amp circuit...(or maybe 30A??) This makes sense to me.
Do not think of it as 2x 120V. It is single phase 240V. And no you will not need the neutral conductor. Just the two hot 240V conductors and the equipment grounding conductor.

As for the wire size being #10 awg, because of the 20 amp receptacle you are using the branch circuit over current device, (the 2 pole breaker in this case), must be 20 amp. Not 15, not 30, it must be a 2 pole 20.....

And as Ngjockey said in his post have an electrician do the job. 240V will kill you just as dead as 120V
Jim
As for the wire size being #10 awg, because of the 20 amp receptacle you are using the branch circuit over current device, (the 2 pole breaker in this case), must be 20 amp. Not 15, not 30, it must be a 2 pole 20.....

I would exchange the receptacle and plug for 30A if I go that route.

Thanks again for your comments, I just wanted to understand what was going on.

Mike