What receptacle for 240V 20A in the States?

Just trying to get a bit more juice to my amp. It can be converted to run 120V or 240V (also with a quick change of the fuses).

However, I'm having some trouble finding a good receptacle. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xaudioarchon

Showing 5 responses by audioarchon

NGjockey - Ha ha! Yes, I work with several EE's and technicians...I will invite one over to help, and to check it. Thanks for your concern!
Guys, thanks for all the excellent responses!

I now have some receptacles and plugs. I bought 2 different types because I was not sure if I needed a 3 or 4 wire (Hubbell HBL2320 and HBL2410) while at the store.

I should have mentioned that the amp (originally from Europe) 220V but uses 1 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground, like 120V in USA/Canada. I noticed that the new HBL 2320 receptacle uses 2 hots and 1 ground...Can I use this?

The HBL 2410 has 4 wires...I believe this is wrong for the application.

Jea48 - I actaully have 2 unused dedicated 120V lines, I wanted to connect both hots to make 240V. I am sure you are right about my voltage, it will be 250V, since I get about 125 on a single line. I was hoping to connect the 2 hots, a neutral and ground, then emulate what is happening in Europe.

Ngjockey - I don't know why this would be out of phase when the breakers are on the same buss bar? I am not trying to tell you that you are wrong...just trying to learn. Also you mention to cheat and put 2 hots on a 3 prong outlet...but I think that is how it looks on my oven for example.

Thanks again guys!
Mike
Jea48 - Yes, as you mentioned, I will connect to a 2 pole breaker (2x 120V). The wire is #10 awg and will use with a 20 amp circuit...(or maybe 30A??) This makes sense to me.

I guess I'm worried that there is no neutral wire going to the amp, should I be?

Thanks!
Mike
As for the wire size being #10 awg, because of the 20 amp receptacle you are using the branch circuit over current device, (the 2 pole breaker in this case), must be 20 amp. Not 15, not 30, it must be a 2 pole 20.....

I would exchange the receptacle and plug for 30A if I go that route.

Thanks again for your comments, I just wanted to understand what was going on.

Mike

Jim, I'll take your advice and stay with the 20A.

The amp has the same transformer size as a Levinson #33 (10 kVa total), and I read that people were using 240V x 30 A or larger with those. I thought it made sense to do the same.

Thanks,
Mike