HiFi lacking social recognition?

Luxury or HiEnd audio did not make it into Forbes "10 Best ways to blow your bonus" while leather handbags, cars, traveling, hotel parties did. Is it a sign that our hobby is eiter completely irrelevant to even the richest or on the contrary such an essential part of living that this is not a luxury habit at all, just plain basic need satisfaction?
[url]
http://ca.pfinance.yahoo.com/ca_finance_general/156/ten-best-ways-to-blow-your-bonus[/url]
beheme
Our hobby is like most others. Stamp collectors pay many times face value for little squares of paper that are only worth that kind of money to those who belong to that fraternity. Likewise, our cables, cartridges and clocks are worth what we are willing to pay and are of no interest to the general population. If there were 20 million of us, we'd be in Forbes. Since there are probably more like 2,000 of us, we are more likely to show up in a sideshow.
I'm a coin collector and we are also known as nerds, Eccentrics and weirdos. Being a coin collecter and a audiophile is not geared to the mainstream. If you tell a regular Joe that you spent 1000.00 for a 1 meter interconnect or that you spent 10,000 for a silver dollar they can't relate. On the other hand if you tell him you just bought a 30,000 truck or a 50' plasma with with surround he can.
i think there is more than the esoteric nature and or inaccesability of some of the products that audiophiles own that is the issue. i think it is the behavior of some individuals who's conduct possibly represents a pathological syndrome of some kind.

most of us have a laissez faire attitude about the hobby. however, some of us may be a bit extreme in the way we conduct ourselves. we get carried away about what is the best preamp or amp, or best speaker under $2000. we get involved in silly arguments which don't accomplish anything helpful.

people wonder why seem to be compulsive and obsessive about audio equipment and the sound of stereo systems.

i am as guilty as anyone else in my quest to achieve a certain perspective. sometimes i want to get away and just listen to music on a $300 personal stereo.

whatever reality is, i wouldn't be too concerned what others think of us as long as we are having a good time and not hurting anyone.
Hi-end audio is too confusing. The benefits are not easily recognized. The differences are too small, at least to the untrained ear.
Besides the ultra-rich have LIVE music while they sip their chatiou brilligne 1853. Music from a box, how gauche!
Why isn't hi-end audio an aspiration for most? It certainly has a 'bling factor,' as much as exotic cars and fancy wristwatches, can be shared with other non-enthusiasts as much as home theatre and offers the same kind of 'marginal' benefits, given the cost, as owning a Ferrari or Patek Phillipe compared to more pedestrian forms of the same product. Because the pursuit is not just about spending money on equipment, and involves tons of time, effort and socialization around minutae, just like any other serious pursuit. Think about how many people not just buy a fast car (Porsche, Ferrari, etc.), but then spend the time to work it into a track-day toy, fidgiting with suspension changes, braking, weight loss and aerodynamics. The popularity of that kind of single-minded activity probably brings the population of people willing to commit the time, effort and money down to a small fraction....
And, add to that, the fact that music listening is, for cultural reasons, not something most people do as an "activity." (Rarely do people sit and 'listen' to reproduced music- it is there as background for another activity).