How to hang rugs.

Hey guys,

I will be moving soon and will have a dedicated room. I have a fairly nice rug, i beleive its about 10'X6' and is kind of heavy. I was wondering if any of you tweakers have a good way of hanging rugs. Im most concerned with the rug stretching at the point loads if i only hang it with a few mounting points. But im also concerned with crushing the edge if i used say two 2x4s clamped together with the rug in between to disperse the load evenly. i have a few other thoughts in my hopper but was wondering what you guys did. Another question: on which wall would it produce the most benefit front or rear? my speakers have a rear firing tweeter just to let you know. I havent heard the room yet so it may not be necessary but it did fail the clap test. im guessing the rear of my speakers will be about 30" or so from the wall. thanks Justin
jlind325is
Albert-thanks, i was also thinking of using tackstrip to accomplish what you described. Using tackstrip on just one side has proven stable? and there appeared to be no damage to the rug after doing so?

Boss302-It is the rug thats in my pics. I think its going to be too big to fit in my new room on the floor with a chair and gear so thats why it will most likely end up being hung. thanks for your idea.

Do either of you have a preference on which wall it should be hung? both front and rear walls are standard drywall over studs. Im guessing bass tuning will be needed so maybe the front wall would be the way to go? And should i hang the rug long way horizontally or long way vertically? Thanks for the info and opinions.
Justin, I attached with only one piece of tack strip. It sits behind the rug with the spikes penetrating the hand tied knots on the back of the rug. The tacks are shallow enough that they don't pass completely through the rug face.

I did add two tiny nails at each end of the 2X2 to be certain the rug did not slip off and fall on my equipment. If a tiny nail is used you can "feel" your way, pushing between the fibers and causing little or no damage to fine rugs.

Mine is an antique Persian, 100% silk and worth a fair amount of money. I see no harm from the tack strip, probably less damage than feet cause when the rug is on the floor.

I've used this rug for many, many years. I originally imagined some of my photography silk screen printed on thin (semi acoustically transparent) cloth with fiberglass behind as sound treatment.

I ultimately decided the rug was simpler and a lot less work. It's surprising how many people think it's decorative (they love it) as opposed to being there for sound.
Albert-mine isnt silk but it did cost me a few schillings, and if it didnt hurt yours im convinced. Do you have any thoughts on which wall and which direction i should hang it to acheive the best sonic bonus. thanks again.

P.S. your system is gorgeous!
Thank you Albert!!! A lot easier than mine and will use that combination the next time. Jlind, if you have ceilings that are 10' tall there are probable a few people that would help you in room acousitics. ;-) My ceilings are 8' and from listening to other people's system I've come to understand that the room is part of the sound equation and you haven't said what your new room size is so can't really offer advice on rug placement. Good luck!

Boss302
My wife & I are fans of good weaving and have collected rugs for many years. The only thing I'd add to Alberts' advice is that sometimes when you hang a rug on a wall facing the exterior, sufficient moisture can migrate through walls over time to cause rust to develop on the steel tacks in a tack strip. It has been my preference to use copper tacks which can be purchased at any well stocked hardware store. Boss302's sewing method works well too, I've done that for flat weave kilims or small Afghan saddle bags.