Starting a high-end audio shop... Am I crazy?

In my mid 40's reaching that mid-life crisis, which is not a myth. Many of my friends are leaving good jobs to start all kinds of wacky businesses. I am actually thinking of giving up a $120,000 yr job and starting a high-end audio retail biz - both online and hopefully later on a brick & mortar store. Have 20 years experience in sales and marketing, and/or design of software, electronics, multimedia, video and financial products including a few years in music retail and production.

Who can share their experience, or advice? Is the markup, distribution, etc of high end electronics similar to that of regular electronics? Any sources of info or pointers, tips, horror stories etc are appreciated.
gdoodle
My best advice is to keep your day job, at least at first. As a life long music lover I became a partner in an independent record store. Started out with three stores and ended up with barely one. Learned a lot, met a lot of great people, collected a lot of vinyl and cds and loss over 90% of my investment not counting no income from the store for years. Sometimes it's not a good idea to mix your hobby(passion) with your livelihood.
I am actually thinking of giving up a $120,000 yr job and starting a high-end audio retail biz - both online and hopefully later on a brick & mortar store
From a business point of view, and assuming you don;t have a revolutionary business-model in mind, I would definitely join Rec's suggestion to keep yr present job (at least for now).
Highly fragmented market;
Higher margin products are very slow-moving;
The hi-end target clientele is small -- as opposed to consumer electronics. Worse, the advertising support is minimal -- as is the corporate equity manufacturers have compared to, say, Sony.
It's difficult to create and retain a loyal client-base;
Hi-end audio's value proposition is weak (the excitement of "good sound").
Do you have a value proposition (that hi-end clients will buy into)?

With your sales & marketing background, I am sure you've studied the issue extensively. However, I believe that trying this out as a "paying hobby" before you give up everything else would be more opportune!

As always, there's also lots of merit in pursuing a dream! Cheers
given the sales of used equipment on the internet, transhipping and the consumer's goal of getting a discount when purchasing components, you are taking a big risk in retail.

in addition, there are many manufacturers who are selling direct. they are your competitors along with other dealers.
I know 2 dealers that cater to 2 channel only. One of the dealers comes from a wealthy family so whether he makes money or not doesn't matter to him. The other dealer recently told me that if it wasn't for 1 great customer he has he would close up tomorrow. I say keep your job and dabble on the side that is my advice.

People are just one mouse click away from a better price these days.
How can you compete with that?