Music volume? What about your sound level?

Just got a Rat Shack sound level meter and find it interesting.I think I listen to my music pretty loud, but wonder about others of us.

Average listening levels 78-82 db
When I turn it up 84-90 db

Wonder how this compares to you folks.

Bill
128x128grannyring
When I used b&w's I used to listen at much higher levels than I currently listen with my JmLabs. When listening to Pop and rock I usually listen between 75-85 db currently. However before I used to usually listen around 85-90 db...I guess that is what it took to make me feel like I was getting a good soundstage with the b&w's.

However, sometimes when listening to a great classical symphony before and now with my JmLabs, I let the volume get the best of me. I usually listen to orchestral peaks around 100-103 db. There is something about the power of an orchestra that makes me do this...plus when you are in front of an orchestra or in a rehearsal hall, these are about the spl's of the ensemble anyway. In rehearsal for the Austin Lyric Opera, I have seen/heard/experienced bass drum hits around 107 db, as well as cymbals crashing around 110 db. Plus there is nothing really as great as listing to a good brass section, especially when you can image out the insturments!

Good time, great hobby!

Peace,
Ben
when im just listening normally its about 90db or so but when i get the bug i max the meter out,anybody have an idea where to get a spl meter that goes higher than 130?
Bigjoe, 130 db is about as loud as an airplane on the tarmac when the jets are pointed at your head...I hope you wear earplugs when you do that!
Here's a link to what Shure says about listening levels. It includes OSHA recommended limits on exposure to loud sounds. Tinnitus commences at 127dB. 130dB is the level reached at very loud rock concerts. 140dB levels can cause hearing loss no matter how short the time exposure. Nausea is experienced after only a few minutes listening that loud.

Bigjoe, Quest makes meters that are rated to 140dB.