A trick with Scotch Whisky

OK.....it's the Holidays so let's lighten things up a bit.

When I listen to music I often like to garnish the experience with a good glass of Scotch or American single barrel whisky.

One of my favorite Scotch whisky's is Lagavulin 16 year old. It is very good Scotch with a pungent smoky flavor. That's the good part. The bad part is it costs about $65 to $80 a bottle. Recently, on a lark I tried to get the basic flavor of Lagavulin by altering a much cheaper Scotch whisky. The results were suprisingly good. I got about %75 percent of the flavor of Lagavulin for about %30 of the cost.

Furthermore all audiophiles have two things in common; they like to experiment and love to change things. So in the spirit of experimentation I offer the following "ersatz Lagavulin" recipe.

2 - "level" teaspoons of "Colgin Liquid Smoke, natural hickory orginal recipe.

1 - 750ml bottle of Aberlour 10 year old Scotch.

Blend them both together and be careful to only add two level teaspoons of the liquid smoke. Pour into your favorite whisky glass. Enjoy.

That's It! The "ersatz Lagavulin" has a smoky taste with hickory overtones and a smooth sweet finish. My friends and I drink this more than the real thing now.

I welcome any and all similiar experiments (for any liquor) or recipes for a favorite drink.

Cheers and Happy Holidays Audiogoners.

hank
I'm leaving the flavor to the fine folks in Scotland. Lagavulin 16 is my favorite. What I do, is keep a lighter "house scotch" around at less than half the price--currently have the Balvenie--and that's for general consumption. That way we don't drink up the Lagavulin too quickly. Plan to add the Macallan and a couple others that don't break the bank as I can afford it. Maybe even Laphroaig should I crave smoke and peat--though Laph honestly isn't totally my cup of tea.

That way there will still be something left when I just *have* to take out the fire but leave in the warmth *drools*
Perhaps instead of liquid smoke you might try blending your own. I personally don't care for Laphroaig. I don't know if it's true, but, I've been told it's favored in many blends. Perhaps something like that and a less expensive malt might be a better albeit more expensive compromise.
If you like the madeira finish, look for the Isle of Arran port finish. It was a little flavored for my taste in terms of every day drinking, but it was impeccable after a rich meal.
Put a jigger of Port wine into a bottle of cheap whisky, (like 4 Roses) and it tastes like good stuff. You need to try it to believe it.
i got hammered after drinking a fifth of jim beam whiskey years back while we were bbq-ing & i poured a bunch of that liquid smoke all over my t bone.

im not sure weather it was the rot gut or the smoke that did it but i was sick like a maniac for days now i cant even sniff liquid smoke without gagging.

mike