Question on Salamander Synergy system

I am considering the purchase of this system because it is the only one my wife seems to like the look of. Does it assist the sound quality?

Any recommendations for other systems in wood?

My wife thinks they are all ugly - looks like junk from a dorm room. Says most are clumsy looking at best.
tj_mulholland
I bought a "Single 40" cabinet recently. I don't think it "assists the sound quality" in any way. A couple of things to mention about this cabinet. The perforated side panels are not a tight fit in the channels, and rattled if I tapped on the cabinet. I disassembled everything and used some thick rubber electrical tape to create a tighter fit. I also used "Blu Tack" to islotate the shelves from the brackets. With these things done, I'm happy with the cabinet. Sonically, there are certainly better choices, but they are much more expensive.

JD
Post removed 
I have the Synergy in Maple. I wouldn't say it does much to help the sound quality. It's solid enough, but not in any amazing way. I'm using it on carpet which is over concrete in my basement, so I just have the flat stabilizor feet on it. For a wood floor or wood under carpet, the spikes would probably give you pretty good stability. I have about 100 Lbs. of stacked monoblocks on the bottom shelf which keeps things from moving around too much.
I also have an S40 rack. For me it was an improvement, but that may be due to it's having been on a very unstable shelf unit before I purchased the S40. Stereophile once said in their review that the top shelf imparts a "slight veil" to the music. As a result, they preferred the S30. I suspect they are right, but it does look very nice--like a nice piece of furniture.

I have the cherry unit with cherry side panels. I left the back of it off for ventilation. FWIW, the side panels fit very well and do not rattle at all.

I think Jdombrow is right: to find something that looks as nice and sounds significantly better, you will likely have to spend quite a bit more $$.
Get decent gear and you won't have to worry about shelves' "assistance" in sound. I agree with jdombro: the side panels are useless, but @ Tvad: there's no reason to hide my gear at all at all!!
Do upholster the brakets holding the shelves and you have - I agree perfectly with your wife - one of the best looking cabinet system on the market.