MacMini USB ports which is better?

I have been A/B-ing the audio qualities of three of the four USB ports at the back of the MacMinis I own and use for music. All of them are MMINI 2.0 2X512/120/SD/AP/.

Facing the back of the Mac and looking directly at the USB ports, the one on the far right (the first outside one) seems to sound most musical to me.

The next runner up seems to be the third in from the outside edge. (I can not use the 4th because the head of the USB cable is so large it interferes with the monitor cable.)

Any experience with this? It might all be just illusion...

:) listening,

Ed
istanbulu
Ed

Yes, I have a mini as well. I was asking for a professional opinion on WHY it would sound different (i.e. circuit design etc).
Can't comment on the Mac Mini, but the IMac is a similiar scenario. Facing the back of my IMac 20, the one on the right is the "warmest" by a very large margin, the one in the middle more balanced/neutral and the one on the left far too etched/bright. It's very obvious to anyone listening, not subtle at all. Has to be due to the way the ports are wired/configured internally. Better thing about the IMac too is that it reacts the same to power cords as does any CD player or DAC. Makes it handy if you have something like a Shunyata Vx power cord.
Hey Ed.

Yea, I need a break so I'm just having some fun but I am being serious about which ports seem to sound better. Your experience on the Mini corresponds with mine and a few other reports I've heard.

Cheers my friend!

Robert
RSAD
Mb9061 are you serious about the PC making a difference on your iMac? If so, what do you hear?
Yes. Same changes that you hear on DACs and CD players, etc. I put a Taipan Helix on it and the sound was more punchy, dynamic and a bit smoother. I put a Taipan Helix Vx on it and the dynamics were lessened a bit, but the higher frequency response was cleaned up more to my liking(i.e. smothered).

For whatever reason, I can't run it through my Hydra. Everytime I try, it makes the upper frequencies far too strident (like having all silver cabling). My amp/dac are run off another Hydra connected to another outlet.

I tried a Mamba V2 and the Taipan Helix Vx on it recently and went with the Taipan Vx because it did a better job of "smothering" the high frequencies and dulling things a bit more (which balanced well with the rest of my system being too forward/detailed). I don't think I could stand the Taipan Vx on a DAC or CD player, but it does fantastic on a computer.