Mac Mini vs. another Mac for music server

I've been getting into computer-based audio, and had been planning on picking up a Mac Mini for use as a music server. (Perhaps one of the new models, if they ever come out; maybe an older one that I could snag for a song once they've been superceded.) I'm currently ripping my CDs to a Dell laptop that is on its last legs, using a MacBook as the remote controller. I'm streaming to an Airport Express connected via an optical cable to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic feeding a Creek Audio Destiny integrated amplifier. (Speakers vary.)

My question: Does a Mac Mini necessarily make more sense than, say, a refurbished MacBook for a few dollars more? Is there a real advantage to using a Mini, sonicly or otherwise? (I'll most definitely be going with a Mac, as I'm now sold on Apple for a number of reasons.)

Is anyone using a MacBook (or an iMac or another Mac) as a server -- and doing so happily?

Thanks for your help on this.

Howard
hodu
Ehider

Interesting observation.

In what context are you making this comparison ie USB or Optical output.

What DAC are you using?

Thanks
Per your inquiry, I am using the USB output. With a Mac (or any computer based server) you would want to AVOID SPDIF type of outputs whenever possible! SPDIF (both optical and electrical) are an "ugly tangled mess" of the clock and the digital music data. The sonic benefits of using a properly designed DAC to a Mac (via USB for instance) is many fold and can offer a HUGE jump sonically compared to anything SPDIF connected. Fro instance, Jitter alone can be reduced or eliminated in up to half a dozen areas with the USB implementation as compared to SPDIF implementations.

The D/A converters I use in my various audio systems are all from UltraFi Audio Designs.
I too am just getting into computer audio and I have to say it has revolutionize how I listen to music and rejuvenated my love for the same...

I recently purchase a refurbished MacBook White, copied my whole collection (over a months time) in Applelossless through iTunes to a Licie Ext HD.

I use the USB to a Bel Canto 24/96 USB converter, to a Cary 306 Pro DAC, through a Pass Labs X1 to my Verity Audio Parisifal Ovations.

The sound is remarkably good. I went with the MacBook over a Mini because wanted a full time screen and keyboard. I use an iTouch iPod to control all the play-lists and music selection from my listening chair.

From everything I have learned, bits is bits until it meets your USB converter or DAC. I have total silence so I don't believe the screen effects the sound I hear. The ext HD is fanless but does make a little noise that you can hear if you are close to it, otherwise, I take no issues.

Bottom Line: I recommend a Macbook and an iTouch, your life will never be the same!

Good luck, John
Howard,

IMHO, I don't think a Macbook will be any better than a Mini. I don't have any personal experience with a Macbook, but I'm currently running a Mini via Toslink to my DAC. Both the Mini and a Macbook are limited to their internal audio cards, and output via USB or Toslink. I've seen posts about a Macbook on battery sounding "quieter", presumably because of reduced electrical noise but I believe the evidence is anecdotal at best.

The best setup, again, IMHO, is a Mac Pro, with a Lynx AES16e card. I'll be purchasing this setup in a week or so and can't wait to hear the improvement.

HTH. . .

Bob
So the one thing we have absolutely learned over the past few years is that step one is to get the conversion from digital to analog out of the computer.

The exception is probably a Lynx or other pro-grade card but at the price point its hardly a gimme... Plus it needs a tower with open slots which may raise other issues for some like where the heck do you put it in your WAF inspected living room...

A Macbook gives you nice access to the iTunes interface. Whether this is socially acceptable or not is an individual question. For a lot of people who have WiFied their home or office, the Macbook also brings all sorts of additional functionality. Biggest problem IMHO is that with a good sized library you will be somewhat "tethered" to an external drive - with 12-15 feet. And you will need some power outlets. But still you can put the darn thing in your lap, sit in your spot and do whatever it is you want to do.

The Mini is elegant. External drives will stack under it. Unless you add a monitor, you will have to use an external unit to access the library.

iPhone with the Remote app is pretty cool and is untethered. On the other hand it is a bit limited once you start tracking ebay bids, surfing website and managing your library.

OK, call me a philistine but IMHO, USB is USB. I like the Opticis fiber optic USB cable which provides true galvanic isolation between computer and DAC.

This can also be achieved with Toslink. But in recent critical listening I have concluded that I just don't like it.

So long answer to the admirably short question that started this - the choice between Mini and Powerbook is a lifestyle choice - its all about how you want to use the system - and what else you want to be able to do with a computer in what will be your digital media center.