Squeeze Box Love'n'hate

I tellya, had I known this thing would be such a pain in the backside.....but yet I love it....when it works!!! Perhaps it's because I'm a MAC guy and my computers just work. This 'interactivity' with the SQ3 goes beyond my extent of how much I want to be involved with digital. I'm also a vinyl guy and I have no trouble with the interactiveness of playing records....in fact I savour it!

So what is it with the SQ3? Well sometimes it's busy 'buffering' when I want to listen to music. Other times it just shuts itself off. And then there's the times when it won't shut off.....unless you unplug it. And at times it loses it's network......whatever, it's just plain frustrating!!!!

Anyone else have this experience?
Robert
rbatsch
When I ordered my Transporter, they had no inventory so they gave away Squeezeboxes to anyone waiting for a Transporter. I am also a MAC guy and I have since stored most of my favorite music (approx. 1,250 songs) on my MAC and I am using the slimdevices to access my music.

Sometimes the slimdevices will lose its pathway to the computer even though I am totally hard wired using a gateway modem. There is also the charming Apple router which works as well, if not better than the Gateway. I use CAT 5e cables.

Yes, sometimes I have to shut down the slimdevices to get them a few minutes to 'rest' and sometimes they lose their settings altogether. Still, I am very happy with them. The Transporter serves my high-end DAC using the AES/EBU outpot and I also use the Transporter's analog output to another room and the squeezebox serves yet another area.

The Transporter also has an output to control jitter but I don't have anything to plug it into, yet.
Attention all slimdevices owners: Thanks to this thread I checked out the latest downloads and I just updated to the version 6.5.3 which was released on July 11, 2007.

Oh, while I think this has helped, what was really good is that it got me to...tinker...with basic settings. My Transporter, all by itself stopped continuous(sp?) display of the Artist/Album/Duration of what is playing from my library, less than 10 seconds after activation. I went to the Transporter's front panel and I tapped a couple of times on 'brightness' and now things are back to normal. Very entertaining.
"Kana813 - it seems like a lot of money, but when you consider that I plan to do a shootout with the Memory Player and expect to win, maybe not....it's that good."

Steve N.- I hope you prove your point against the MP, then let's have a shootout with your best stuff against the new PSAudio Transport(rips to/plays back from RAM and interfaces with PC HD storage) and new Digital Lens.

Right now, I wonder if a SB3(16/44.1)running through your Pacecar sounds any better than a SB3 running through an old Genesis Digital Lens(available here on audiogon for less than $500.). I'd be happy to test this for you.
Steve N.
Can you please explain how the use of the pacecar reclocker would be of benefit when used between the SQBX3 and DAC1, over a good true 75 ohm tranmission line in s/pdif mode? As I understand it, the Benchmark DAC1 has an AKM 4114 S/Pdif receiver which extracts the data, and clock. This clock and data are then connected to the Analog Devices AD1896 sample rate converter. The AD1896 besides its upsample and down sample function has two clock inputs: 1 from the serial data (from the AKM), and 1 master ref clk input. The AD1896 is a fully asynchronous design, and as such the serial clock drives the data into a FIFO, while the other clock (master, a crystal in this case) controls the FIFO output port. It is this asynchronous SRC that is responsible for the isolation from the jitter-ed data. The next down stream chip is the actual DAC, an analog devices 1853. This guy also has its clock derived from a stable external reference oscillator. Thus the data and clock presented to the DAC are de-coupled from the jittery data source over the S/pdif protocol ( this is basically my understanding of Ultralock ).
It seems to me that any device inserted in the s/pdif chain as an intermediate step (between the SB3 and DAC1) is made irrelevant by this (the DAC1's) particular hardware architecture. The selected devices (particularly the SRC) in the DAC1 already offer asynchronous FIFOs.
It's not like anything done to the spdif signal can stop or change this ultralock process from happening. It IS the hardware.

I am probably missing something in my description as I have cobbled it together from existing literature and do not have the source schematics.
Kana813 wrote:
"Right now, I wonder if a SB3(16/44.1)running through your Pacecar sounds any better than a SB3 running through an old Genesis Digital Lens(available here on audiogon for less than $500.). I'd be happy to test this for you."

I'll guarantee 100% that it does. The Pace-Car has an I2S output, which has much lower jitter than any S/PDIF output. It also uses Superclock4 or Ultraclock, which are lower jitter clocks.

I wish I had extra Pace-Cars and SB3's to lend them out, but I dont. If I get a request from a reviewer, maybe I'll build another set for demo, but he has to be the right reviewer.

Steve N.

Steve N.