Why don't they make a dedicated iPod just for...

Why don' they make a dedicated iPod just for music like the Nano but that has the ability to store 30 or 60gb. I'd like to convert my CDs into Apple Lossless but I need far more space than the Shuffle or Nano currently provide. It seems like the larger capacities are reserved for the iPod Video player. The thing is, I'm really not interested in video...

Can anyone provide any explanation, solution, recommendation, etc. Also, any ideas when Apple may release something that would address my needs?

Thank you!
mdp0430
Mdp0430,

Here's an article that more or less draws a parallel between your gripe with current iPod offerings and cellphones. It reinforces the idea of the trend towards micro devices that have multi functions. You don't have to read the whole article, the headline sums it up.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/19/opinion/garver/main1512934.shtml
Thanks for all of your responses and links so far... I don't have a problem with moving technology forward. The caveat is that the product should be better. From what I understand from looking at previous posts on the topic, those "in the know" state that the 4th Gen Ipod has the better dac. So we have a case where we have added more features with the 5th Gen but we have made the music playback a lessor priority by using an inferior DAC. Why not perfect the audio aspect first (digital out, etc), then move into incorporating video?

Second, I really don't see how this video thing is going to work. Are people going to download movies onto a 2.5" screen via ITunes? Wouldn't burning onto DVD and watching on laptops provide a far better portable viewing experience?

Thanks again!
You are out of touch with high tech product marketing. The lifespan of these products is too short to perfect the product. The goal is to get the product to the market first and then gain maximum market penetration in the shortest possible time. Adding video is an excellent way for Apple to expand the iPod's potential market.

Similar to audio, you don't have to watch the video on the iPod's screen, you can hook it up to a big screen display. A person can go to a friend's house with a whole season of "The Shield" plus dozens of albums and just hook into his system. Perfect? No! -- Amazing? Yes!
This has been an enlightening exchange... It has certianly shed some light on the topic of how Apple makes their business decisions. Just Micro 101 i guess....

Allow me to pose a final question... Are there any companies out there that offer a large capacity portable audio solution with a digital out that would be comptabile with Apple Lossless? I guess this is what I am (and I suppose other audiophiles) really after...
Anybody who thinks Apple put a sub-par DAC in the latest iPods is most definitely NOT in the know.