Got Ears?

I'm wondering how quickly you develope your listening. I'm sure my ears are more in tune to pick up the little nuances in a high fidelity system than when I started this madness 9 months ago. Thanks to alot of you on this site I learned what to listen for, but I know that I still have alot to learn when it comes to picking up on certain things. Do you guys (and Elizabeth ;-) think that having an ear for audio is something that just continues to develope and develope? I feel that it's an important part to fully enjoying this hobby as it allows you to enjoy a well thought out rig and your music collection to the fullest. I'm fully enjoying cd's that just this time last year I would have only used as coasters or made fun of you for listening to that "crap". I can't help but think half is my rig, the other half are my somewhat trained ears. If I tell my girlfriend, who by the way grew up in a musical family (dad was a music director for years at a major university) and plays violin, guitar, sings and has perfect pitch, about how an improvement to my rig deepend the soundstage, brought out shimmering highs with faster attack and longer decay she cocks her head a bit and says "huh?". Anyways, have y'all noticed your ears getting more in tune with picking up all the things that make an audiophile an audiophile and if so how and when has that happened?
128x128b_limo
B, forget the "critical listening" crap now. You will find yourself jumping on the never ending, money sucking "upgrade train" and eventually lose all interest in listening for pleasure. Not to mention, people will start to think you've lost it and shy away from you (no one wants to be around a nut job), You will end up a bitter old man with nothing but a bunch of expensive audio gear that you won't listen to because it doesn't meet your "trained" ears expectations. :)
I think it just happens very gradually as you become used to your system and very familiar with your music. Something happens, upgrade bug or a piece of equipment needs replacement, and you get something that bumps things up a level and you notice all these details that you didn't notice before......for me, I've always had pretty nice systems and the fun and excitement has been gradually upgrading and enjoying the music more. Adding a good DAC, adding power cords, dedicated outlets etc. have all made noticeable and worthwhile (to me) differences. Recent change of integrated amp made a huge difference to what I was hearing which led to even more enjoyment of the same music.....and on it goes. I think your ears grow with your system if, as the wise ones here say, you make good choices that serve your musical preferences.
Lol Tpreaves! Too funny!
Thanks Elizabeth, it's always nice to have a perspective from the better half :-)
Buconero, that was funny, bro! I like my current girlfriend though, and she actually sounds better than any of my stereo gear so I think I'll keep her .

Alot of good responses here, thanks guys! I think what I've learned is to not get too caught up in $1,000 power cords to gain a few inches in soundstage, but instead to buy some new music and take my girl some flowers or something. By the way, I do hear live music at least once a week, if not more. My girlfriend plays the violin and guitar beautifully, and also has a great voice. We have very very talented musicians at my church, and even my local Mi Mi's restaurant has awesome local jazz players performing inside the restaurant on Thursday nights!
Anyways, thanks for all the responses! Itsas good for a few smiles and laughs this morning! Cheers!
The obvious analogy is symphony conductors , many of the great ones continues into their eighties as good or better than ever, with MUCH diminished physical hearing for which the brain fully compensates.
Don't let her get away with 'huh?'. I keep asking my wife how it sounds to her after I change something. I have always explained that the music is for both of us to enjoy and I need her to tell me when it sounds best to her. Now, she has started to ask what I changed and listens for sound staging cues. Because most women hear better (not always more often) there are frequencies that, if exaggerated, really bother her. I now get honest input and listening together is more frequent.