Conversion of mV to dB

Hello,
My phono premamp has gain values expressed in terms of mV. Is there a way to convert those values into dB? They are 0.3, 0.4, 0.6, 0.9, 1.4, 2.5, and 5 mV. Thank you.
actusreus
Jmcgrogan2, it's been many years since I played with LPs, fonocartridges, and fonostages, but I do recall something about 5cm/s (centimeters per second) and 3.54cm/s...being that they're the same!

5cm/s is the standard horizontal groove modulation for a mono signal, and 3.54cm/s is THE SAME goove modulation measured perpendicular to the groove wall and then expressed as a stereo signal, PER CHANNEL.

...I think.
Jeffreybehr, as far as I know, it has to do with which test record the cartridge was measured on, JVC (3.54 cm/s) or CBS (5.0 cm/s). I don't know about the mono versus stereo numbers. I do know that you can translate between the two numbers by using basic math.

As I mentioned, the KAB calculator assumes the 5 cm/s standard, so if your cartridge is measured using the CBS standard 5 cm/s then you can just plug that value in. However, if your cartridge's output was measured using the JVC standard (3.54 cm/s) you can divide 5 by 3.54 and multply the outcome (1.4) by the output to translate the output voltage into the CBS standard of 5 cm/s.

So a cartridge that has a rated output of 0.24 mV @ 3.54 cm/s will put out the same amount of voltage as a cartridge with a rated output of 0.34 mV @ 5 cm/s.
John and Jeff, I believe that BOTH of your statements are correct, but there are several factors that muddle the issue.

5 cm/s lateral velocity corresponds to 3.54 cm/s at 45 degrees, meaning 3.54 cm/s in each channel, as Jeff indicated. Also, however, 5 cm/s peak in a given direction corresponds to 3.54 cm/s RMS in that same direction.

See the photos of the labels of CBS and JVC test records near the end of this thread, and also see some of the preceding posts. The 1 kHz test tones on the CBS record are clearly indicated on the label as being at 3.54 cm/s RMS at 45 degrees, which corresponds to 5 cm/s peak at 45 degrees. The JVC record is also marked as 3.54 cm/s at 45 degrees, but with no indication as to whether that is RMS or peak. Measurements cited in the thread indicate that figure is peak, implying only 2.5 cm/s RMS, which is 3 db less than on the CBS record.

So comparing apples to apples, and using peak figures at 45 degrees, John is correct that CBS is 5 cm/s and JVC is 3.54 cm/s. Which leaves open the question, however, of what a cartridge specification is referring to if it refers to "3.54 cm/s." I have no particular knowledge of that, but it wouldn't surprise me if some manufacturers are referring to 3.54 cm/s RMS per the CBS record, corresponding to 5 cm/s peak, while others are referring to 3.54 cm/s as marked on the JVC record, which is peak and therefore only 2.5 cm/s RMS.

Fortunately, though, the difference is only 3 db.

Best regards,
-- Al
Thanks for chiming in here Al, I was waiting for you to help us out. I don't really understand it that much myself, but Mehran, of Sorasound, who distributes ZYX cartridges which are rated at 3.54 cm/s is the one who explained to me about the output voltage conversion to 5 cm/s rating. It seemed to make sense to me....but I'm not an EE, though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Expres last night. :)
This is a bit of an old topic but I just bought the same phono pre, the RCM Sensor Prelude. My cart is a Lyra Dorian.

Output voltage : 0.6mV (5.0cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees)

Right now I have set the RCM to 0.6mV. Is this correct?