Why does better power = better sound?

Why does improving power quality improve sound quality?

I’m not asking to start an argument about power cords or wall outlets. Please let’s not go there. I’m asking because I’m hoping to learn some technical explanations for the effects of power quality on sound quality. I think I already understand how…

1. greater current availability = greater dynamic range
2. reduction of RFI/EMI = better signal to noise ratio

…but what about these…

3. ???????? = greater perceived resolution
4. ???????? = more realistic instrument timbres
5. ???????? = more precise imaging

Are differences in resolution, instrument timbres, imaging, etc. somehow reducible to current availability and/or powerline noise? If so, HOW are they reducible?

Again, I’m hoping to get into technical specifics, not polemical generalities.

Thanks in advance.

Bryon
bryoncunningham
How do you determine whether to buy a 15 amp or 20 amp power conditioner? Simply by the size of the AC circuit it is plugged into or are there other factors like the demands of the audio system?
Hi Lynne,

What is relevant is the maximum amount of current that is demanded by the audio system. As long as a 15A rating would provide a reasonable amount of margin with respect to that demand (and I suspect that it will in your case, assuming that you will not be using a powered sub), there is no problem using a 15A conditioner on a 20A line.

Best regards,
-- Al
It seems like the characteristics I mentioned in the OP -- headroom, noise floor, resolution, timbre, imaging -- are all affected by the AC power line's voltage and noise, in that undervoltage reduces the system's current availability and noise increases the system's distortion.

It's still unclear to me whether there are additional AC power line factors that are relevant. Are all AC power line problems reducible to problems with either under/over voltage or noise?

bc
Hi Bryon,

Assuming that "noise" is interpreted broadly, to include distortion and perhaps also DC offset, the only other things I can think of would be:

1)Dynamic fluctuations in voltage resulting from resistance in the AC wiring, as current demands fluctuate with the music.

2)Wiring inductance possibly limiting how quickly the supply of current can change, in response to abrupt changes in demand.

I don't have any particular quantitative feel for how much significance those factors may have, if any, and I suspect that in many cases they will be of no significance. Particularly if the power amp is Class A, and hence draws essentially constant current all the time. But those are the only other possible factors that occur to me.

Best,
-- Al