Resistor to tone down tweeter?

I have a pair of Focal 918s. I was curious about trying to tone down the tweeters a bit.
What options are there?
Can I wire a resistor in front of the tweeter? If so what size/rating would it be.
I would like to get a little more volume without the excessive treble.
Thanks Jayson
mcpherson
I would think before you go invest in Soft material like curtains and or Carpets etc...you need to get both tweeters running the same..My first action would be to make sure both tweeters exactly the same then deal with room next.....
First of all, make sure the tweeter is OK. Both channels should sound the same. A damaged voice coil, or something else in the tweeter can cause this.

If you find both tweeters to sound the same, maybe your sensitive to their resonance (usually right over 20 kHz) like a lot of people are, or just the speakers design.

You can try adding a non-inductive 1-4 ohm wire wound resistor in series between the plus wire and the tweeters input plus (+) terminal. The larger the ohm number you use, will result in less output from the tweeter. Maybe try a 2 ohm to start. This will tame the tweeter down. You may, or may not like the results. I have done this myself with good results. Here is a link to give you an idea about the resistor. Link.[http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=345]
Hifitime
Thanks for the input. I will probably go ahead and replace the other tweeter. At least then I have two new tweeters to make a better decision. A little room treatment may help my cause also.
I will take a look at the link you provided.
Stupid question for you electronics boffins. on a guitar if you want to roll off the highs you use your tone knob which uses a capacitor fromt he tone pot to ground (I think). Why would this not work in this case. Suspect I'm missing something but its not my field.

03-17-12: Paulsax
Stupid question for you electronics boffins. on a guitar if you want to roll off the highs you use your tone knob which uses a capacitor fromt he tone pot to ground (I think). Why would this not work in this case. Suspect I'm missing something but its not my field.
Paulsax (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

Doing what your mentioning would be at the line level. That is similar to what is done in a preamp's tone control. It may also change the midrange some.

Doing it this way is at the speaker level.

Also, the speaker builder already picked the right value capacitor for the correct crossover frequency, for the tweeter. If you used a different value capacitor, it would have a different crossover frequency. That crossover frequency is fine now.

Doing it speaker level like this will just lower the volume level of the tweeter alone. It won't change its (tweeters) crossover frequency. Plus, it won't change anything in the midrange.

A variable wirewound potentiometer could be used for this, but, they can add noise. A lot of speakers had variable line level potentiometers, and they seemed to have faded away in the majority of hi-end speakers.