Power Cord for Power Conditioner

I'm trying to figure out if it is absolutely necessary to use a company's power cord with their power conditioners. No brand in particular.Any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance,
128x128commonone69
"We could argue this point forever and I don't mind. But when we get angry it's not worth it. This forum is supposed to be for enlightenment and fun."
*I agree.
*No harm ever intended or implied.
*Anger is only induced by arrogance.
"If these differences are so great, anyone could hear them but they can't."
*I am amazed that someone who likely spends considerable time listening to a well constructed system can't hear obvious differences. This just proves what we have always suspected: "People hear differently"...but that's not new news.
"Since we've had about 30 years of improvements in cable design supposedly, go back and listen to a power cord from back then. It would be so inferior that you couldn't stand to listen with it in your system. A nearly deaf person would be shocked at the difference in quality".
*Ironically, the difference in stock power cords from 30 years ago and today are not very different but when you enter the aftermarket cables the designs tend to take on much more sophistication and care in quality and construction techniques...right on down to the male and female plugs/terminations. Hospital grade connectors use much better internal materials and pay more attention to the contact points inside the outlets, etc.
"I have a friend who claimed he could hear cables too. It was funny to me and others that he couldn't hear when one of the channels was out in his preamp. I also know people who agree they can hear improvements when they can't just so they won't be ostracized by the audiophile community. I've actually had Audiogoners email me and call me to say they agree with me but are afraid to post their beliefs. I bet there are people around you doing the same. Well I'm not afraid to say it. Don't get mad."
*I've discussed this point already. Anyone who spends significant money on aftermarket powercables yet can't hear a difference but feels afraid to admit it has much bigger problems than their audio system's sound.
"Armorall, clocks, various tweeks"
*There's a whole bunch of snake-oil schemes out there and many people get suckered in to trying them, depending on their relative cost/improvement ratios and a whole lot of it is absolutely crazy.... BUT Powercables are NOT one of them.They absolutely make significant positive improvements over stock cables.
Sounds like we can agree to disagree...the pc way of ending most differences of opinion, and I'm fine with that because this back and forth is getting old (and I don't type very quickly anyway so...). All I ask others following all this is to keep an open mind on it, and let YOUR own ears be the final decision-makers, no one else's should count more.
*Best regards, and happy Lissn'n
Lissnr,
In reality I can wage 5:1 that you will loose on blind testing. Whould you challange nuts in my hand? I'd like to see the flop!
Marakanetz, On MY system, changing just the power cable at random, I will get it right every time. Not only have I already done it, I've had visitors do it and I'd probably bet that, while knowing nothing about you, unless you have particularly poor hearing, that you could do it too. It's THAT obvious.
I repeat, this is NOT a controversy.
Why wouldn't a better power cord on a power conditioner make it work better?

You don't need to prove it to me, I can hear the differences with the one's I've made and bought.

All power cords can have an influence on the sound of whatever component they are plugged into, so what makes a power conditioner immune?

The better power that goes into it, the better it works, just like a better power cord on an amp will work better than a zip cord type power cord.

I've had great success using an upgeaded DIY/Hybrid name brand power cord on my power supply for my Rega P9 TT.

I can't give you the scientific reason why, but you are welcome for a demo.