Gain Question

I may not understand what is going on with my vinyl setup.

The chain goes as follows -

Ortofon Per Windfeld Cart .3 mv output
Herron VTPH-2 phono stage 66 db of gain
Cary SLP05 preamp 10 db of gain.

Sound is great but in order to be at a moderate listening volume, the volume nob on the Cary pre must be almost maxxed out. How can I fix this?
markus1299
You know, as a fairly new audiofile enthusiaist, I have learned a valuable lesson here. Do your homework well before purchasing components that you think will match up in a system
Summed up very well Markus1299. Don't be hard on yourself though, we all learn as we go through this journey together. It's not the destination, but the journey itself which enthralls us. (I take it that means the Clearaudio Virtuoso didn't work out?).

If you go looking at another cartridge, you may find this thread helpful in understanding the difference between the two standards in which cartridge output is measured. Using this formula you can compare cartridge specs as apples to apples, instead of apples to oranges.

Cheers,
John
John

Unfortunately when I checked out the Clearaudio carefully, the stylus was bent so without a retip, don't think I can try this option. HOWEVER see my next post about another avenue I am considering
If phono preamp uses 12at7 type tubes replace with 12ax7 this will give you 40% more gain,I think it might solve low gain problem.
phono preamp uses 4 12AX7's and 1 12AT7. Are you saying I should try a 12AX7 in the 12AT7 spot?