Preamp inverts phase question:

The owners manual of my preamp indicates that the preamp inverts phase: the circuit is phase inverting. Does this mean that I need to hook my speaker cables up backwards to correct the phase inversion... do I hook the positive speaker cable to the negative speaker binding post and visa versa with the negative speaker cable connections on both speakers?
adampeter
Why argue the point? Just do what the manual says. What's so difficult about that?

Because all the manual can tell you is if that particular component inverts. But what counts is that the system as a whole should not invert, which as has been explained means that the total number of inverting components and inverted connections should be an even number (0 or 2 or 4).

As to "why argue the point," that was exactly what I was getting at in one of my earlier posts. Just get the overall system polarity correct (i.e., non-inverting), and then you don't have to worry about whether or not it makes a difference.

Regards,
-- Al
Anyone interested in facts? There are some interesting points(re: Absolute Polarity) 1/3 down on this page (http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/988awsi/index1.html) The book mentioned: (http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ394637) is no longer cheap by any stretch of the imagination(I wonder why?). Some observations on the book, the "Effect" and their affect on the audio industry: (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue31/wood.htm) The Stereophile test CD(STPH 002-2) and 'Chesky Jazz Sampler and Audiophile Test Compact Disc Vol 1'(JD37) both have tests that will tell you if you can discern one polarity from another(obviously- some can't). It should also be mentioned that many recordings are produced out of phase, when being recorded: many engineers don't pay any attention to the relative phase of mics and instrument inputs(so there will be some in and some out of phase on the same recording), and there are many pieces of audio gear that invert phase(and don't mention it in the manual), and if the drivers in your speaker system aren't time-aligned/phase-coherent, even if you CAN hear the difference: You won't! Quite a crap shoot out there! More? (http://www.avguide.com/forums/how-listen-all-laser-read-media-correctly)
Adampeter,
Did you reverse the polarity at the speakers, or amp yet?

Is so, did you hear any difference?
============

I played around a little yesterday listening to different CDs on my system. My Sonic Frontiers Line One preamp has a polarity phase invert feature which can be switched with the remote control.

As others have posted with some there was no real discernable difference in sound from my speakers. But there was with others. Did I go through all my library of CDs? No.... Just a selection of a few.

Standouts where a definite difference could be heard?

Etta James, "Love Songs".
Track #1, "At Last".
Change? Etta's Voice. Inverted her voice was thin. Correct polarity her voice was full, a more moving presentation.

Chris Rea, "Auberge".
Track #11, "The Mention Of Your Name".
Again the voice of the singer stood out.

Buddy Holly, "From The Original Master Tapes".
Track #20, "True Love Ways.
Difference? Not only Holly's voice, the saxophone as well. Definitely the saxophone....

FourPlay, "Between the Sheets".
Track #1, "Chant?
Difference? The bass drum.
Rodman -- Good references; thanks!

Jea -- Thanks for posting those results. The thing I wonder, though, about preamps that have polarity reversal capability, is if there may be an additional significant variable present. When you reverse polarity, you are not only reversing polarity but you are changing the circuit configuration in the preamp, either adding or removing or selecting a different active stage somewhere in the signal path. So I'd be a bit more cautious drawing conclusions from that kind of test than from a test where the polarity of the speaker connections is interchanged, given that the polarity effects being listened for are alleged by many to be subtle at most.

Regards,
-- Al
Al, remember that when you switch speaker cables you are also affecting wire directionality, or so I've read. In fact, I remember Doug Blackburn writing an essay on polarity suggesting that the primary audible change you hear (if you hear ANYTHING) is the effect of wire directionality rather than polarity. IME, there IS a more pronounced effect from switching speaker wires rather than changing polarity via the preamp's remote. Anyone for listening to some music? Dave