Adding a subwoofer to a 2 channel amp

I have a Rotel RB-1050 amp, a Rotel RC-972 pre-amp, and a pair of Fostex 126e Zigmahornet speakers I built. The original speaker design used Fostex 103e drivers that reportedly resulted in poor bass response. The 126e's were suggested to fill out the bass. The resulting bass I have obtained I rate at about a 6-7 on a 10 point scale.
Would adding a subwoofer be a good idea and if so how would I do this given the Rotel amp is a two channel amp? Thanks for any suggestions I am a newbie.
greybear
Another option would be a Rel sub using the high level inputs which gets connected to the speaker posts on the back of the amp if there is no sub out on the pre
Adding a powered subwoofer is a very good idea. Easy to connect as mentioned in the above 2 posts. If you connect as mentioned by RWwear, I would use subwoofer interconnects which will render a better low frequency signal than regular analogue interconnects. They will also reduce any hum. I recommend audioquest SubX, not too expensive and also is composed with silver wiring, which is a very good conductor for subwoofers.
Powered sub, yep.
Use the speaker level connections? Also yep.
Now MY question! Do you want to run the mains full range?
If yes, you don't have to daisy chain the mains thru the sub.
Just run another set of wires TO the speaker inputs on the sub. The speaker inputs on the sub have pretty high input impedance so no loading or other effects. Kind of like bi-wiring!
You probably don't need any exotic or expensive cabling. After all, you are interested in 80hz and down, only.
use a splitter between pre and main. Run good quality, well shielded cabling to the subs low level inputs. Done.
The hazard with this? It is possible that the 2 input impedi in parallel will not be to the pre-amps liking. (Pre would like high impedance to work into)
I second the REL, but set the crossover as low as you can and work up. I have my Stadiums set at 22 Hz. The REL provides infra bass, which greatly enhances the realism of your system. It is not a subistute for bad or inadequate bass above 50 Hz.