What made you select "audio" as your hobby

I've read many posts here on Audiogon as to the extremes many of you have gone in pursuing sound perfection.
I wonder what made you select this "nutty hobby" in the first place??
goldeneraguy
Electroid,I believe that was Mike Nichols.He did pretty well for himself in film.Not to mention his marriage to Diane Sawyer.Thank you for the post
I need to give credit to my father as well. Ever since I can remember, every Sunday, my Dad would play comedy record albums and Dixieland Jazz on his modest system. He had several hundred record albums dating back to the early 1950's. He especially liked Al Hirt and Louis Armstrong.
In the early 50's my 6th grade teacher informed the class we were going to have MUSIC APPRECIATION for one hour every Tuesday afternoon.I thought this would allow me to listen to Frank Sinatra,Patty Page and that new guy Tony Bennett.They were always playing on my parents radio.
Much to my surprise she played the The Peer Gynt Suite.
I couldnt understand why someone would make a record with just music and no lyrics.That got me started on trying to find other recordings that was just music and opened a whole new world for me.Great Thread,lots of memories
This hobby selected ME. In high school I got a job pressing records at the world's only (at that time) audiophile pressing plant. I soon became the Quality Manager. As a result of this experience I can honestly say there are probably less than 10 people alive who know as much about the secrets of vinyl as I do. Before I required reading glasses I could simply look at a freshly cut lacquer and tell the producer everything he/she needed to know about the eventual outcome of the finished product. But alas those days are long gone, as is my near-field vision! But the ears are still fine and I take great delight in exposing this current generation to the glories of analog playback.